• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

&^*($)%#(*%&

I ran mine on Valvoline race oil for the first year, switched over to Redline after that, no problems.

"Sluggo" said:
Keeping my fingers crossed. And I'm never putting Mobil1 in anything again.
Always use Castrol. Why I decided to change just one time I do not know.

LOL.

It was right after I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic that I wiped the lobe in my 55k mile engine. I wouldn't run that stuff in ANY flat tappet engine, if my life depended on it.

I run nothing but Royal Purple in the flat tappet engines now.

You really need to pull the pan and check a main cap/bearing and rod cap/bearing. It's cheap insurance for the price of a gasket and a couple hours work.

Just for the heck of it.....The year was 1977, we owned a '77 Subaru GL. Did a tune up and oil change at 36,000+ miles using Mobile 1. Was doing the change as recommended by Mobile 1. Drove the car 150 miles after that and the engine literally exploded. After all the bs was done, Subaru said it was due to oil failure, I paid 1/3 the cost since warranty was expired.

Mobile 1 has never been present in my vehicles since. It was in a GoldWing I bought and that was the first thing I got rid of. I tend to use Castrol and have used it for the last two changes in my '66 now. Personal experience..........

"AzPete" said:
Just for the heck of it.....The year was 1977, we owned a '77 Subaru GL. Did a tune up and oil change at 36,000+ miles using Mobile 1. Was doing the change as recommended by Mobile 1. Drove the car 150 miles after that and the engine literally exploded. After all the bs was done, Subaru said it was due to oil failure, I paid 1/3 the cost since warranty was expired.

Mobile 1 has never been present in my vehicles since. It was in a GoldWing I bought and that was the first thing I got rid of. I tend to use Castrol and have used it for the last two changes in my '66 now. Personal experience..........

The Toyota dealer I worked at in the real early 80's sold Subarus also. Those things imploded if you looked at them funny.
They never made it out of warranty.

Oddly enough, a neighbor moved in with the same car and his ran for 80,000 plus without a problem.

"johnpro" said:
LOL.

It was right after I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic that I wiped the lobe in my 55k mile engine. I wouldn't run that stuff in ANY flat tappet engine, if my life depended on it.

I run nothing but Royal Purple in the flat tappet engines now.

You really need to pull the pan and check a main cap/bearing and rod cap/bearing. It's cheap insurance for the price of a gasket and a couple hours work.

I probably will. Not too fond of the whole scabbing the oil pan gasket idea.

Hmmm... I've got well over 400k on 4 different engines, all flat tappet, several high lift, all with Mobil 1 15-50 or 5-30. One was broken in at the factory with Mobil 1 15-50, and has had it all it's life (182k now). No cam issues, no leaks, leakdown is less than 10% on the 182k engine.
Of course, I also sold a Pontiac with 320k on it, original engine & trans, and I towed a boat with that car. Havoline dino oil it's whole life.

So obviously YMMV stands here.

Sluggo
I looked at the cam and lifter but am I mistaken?
Isn't the lifter damaged on the wrong side ? I mean , did they install the lifter the right way ?
The lifter is damaged at the pushrods side.Or are the marks from a floating pushrod?

"B67FSTB" said:
Sluggo
I looked at the cam and lifter but am I mistaken?
Isn't the lifter damaged on the wrong side ? I mean , did they install the lifter the right way ?
The lifter is damaged at the pushrods side.Or are the marks from a floating pushrod?

You are looking at the bottom of the lifter. It wore clean thru the bottom and into the inner return spring.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is the only variant that has a high zinc content for flat tappet engines. If I could get my motor to stop burning/leaking so much oil, I'd probably switch over. Meanwhile, I've been running Valvoline VR-1 for 15k mi on the new cam with no problems. The first cam lasted ~6k on Castrol GTX.

"apollard" said:
Hmmm... I've got well over 400k on 4 different engines, all flat tappet, several high lift, all with Mobil 1 15-50 or 5-30.

I'm talking Mobile 1 synthetic. Do not run it in a flat tappet engine without an additive.

I will however agree, that YMMV. It's just not worth the gamble to me, though. Changing cams is not fun unless you were planning to change it.

"johnpro" said:
I'm talking Mobile 1 synthetic. Do not run it in a flat tappet engine without an additive.

I will however agree, that YMMV. It's just not worth the gamble to me, though. Changing cams is not fun unless you were planning to change it.

I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 (not sure there is a non-synthetic). Flat tappets, no issues with hundreds of thousands of miles. One cam broken in with that oil.

Reportedly, M1 15W50 has 1200 ppm zinc - in the same rangle oils used to have.

Crappy cell pic of the nearly completed unscheduled camshaft swap. I'll get some real pics today.

Going for the factory look.

"Sluggo" said:
Crappy cell pic of the nearly completed unscheduled camshaft swap. I'll get some real pics today.

Going for the factory look.

Going with factory air cleaner too?

"70_Fastback" said:
Going with factory air cleaner too?

Yeah, but you've never seen one like it. It's a what if, sluggafied air cleaner. Only available on 427 Cobra Jet Windsor :craz

Back