• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66 289 timing chain compatible?

caspian65

I'm building a 289 A code engine for a '66. It's basically stock, nothing too exciting. I have an extra new timing set and not sure if it's compatible with this engine. It's a double-roller Cloyes 9-2135. Looked around on the web and couldn't find much info about it. Thought if I have it, might as well use it.

Can anyone confirm that this timing set will work? Do I need to switch any parts like the cam thrust plate?

Thanks!

From what I could locate in some older catalogs, it appears that the Plus line has been superseded and the older part numbers are no longer valid (as I'm sure you've discovered). The Plus line was Cloyes' standard replacement line. Their Heavy Duty line is still current and the part number is C-3054X (which crossed over to the Plus line part number of 9-2135). Both are valid applications for SBF's. Since they are also direct replacement pieces, as opposed to a high performance application, you should be able to install it as is, utilizing the stock thrust plate. Hope that helps Charles.

Back