• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67-68 Fastback Trunk Lid

sigtauenus

Bought this for my car as a rust free original from Arizona. Got it through Jim Cowles.

When the body guy found the bondo on it he dug and found it to be a good 1/8" or more thick. I didn't care for that and told him not to use it. He called the seller (while I was over in the sandbox) and was told it was sold as rust free not mud free or dent free. The trunk lid actually looks great and very straight otherwise. I was pretty surprised to see how straight it is with that much mud on it. What got the body guy digging was you could see the buildup around the holes for the molding. Also, the grey areas were not in the picture I was given when I bought it, but that is how it arrived. Not sure if my body guy talked to Jim or not, but he was told he couldn't send it back because he had dug into the bondo. Now its been a year since I bought it. Kind of disappointed because Jim has a pretty good reputation otherwise.

Anyhow, I paid roughly $550 for this with shipping from Az.

Email me for high res pics or the pic (not posted) of the date code stamp if you are in to that sort of thing.

I have it on Craigslist locally for $450, anybody here price is $400. Cash talks.

427_12_02_10_4_38_59_0.jpg

427_12_02_10_4_38_59_1.jpg

427_12_02_10_4_38_59_2.jpg

This is the bottom lip that is typically bubbled up or missing altogether. Great lid particularly for somebody on the East coast.

427_12_02_10_4_38_59_3.jpg

All for 68 fastback.

I need tinted door glass in excellent condition, roof console and brackets for fastback, inner quarter vent trim with excellent chrome, pretty much the entire interior in parchment, dark green carpet, ivy gold dash pad, deluxe woodgrain wheel with hornpad, preferably parchment. Many misc a/c parts, including defrost plenum.

I have an NOS front valence... I primed it grey when working on my coupe but eventually went with the Ecar nose. It's in excellant shape.

you will never guess where I found it either!

It was in an old ratty house trailer in a junk yard (being used as a shed). I got the rear valence there too and a playboy pink drivers door which I did use on my car. The guy didn't know he had this stuff.

So I think I'm going to strip this thing down. Probably easier to sell as rust free if it has no bondo and no paint on it. Figure the top of the lid has bondo for a reason and who knows what I'll find, but I'm sure any body guy who wants and original rust free lid would rather straighten it out himself than trust bondo already on it.

strip it down & you may be surprised with a decent part. i cant tell you how many times parts are brought in here that are slathered in filler that isn't needed. some people pile it on & don't sand off near enough, just until it looks halfway correct. i have a 39 chev here right now that the whole back end is 1/4" deep in filler, including the trunk lid. you can feel the inner qtrs in the trunk & there isn't any reason for all of it.

yes, your body guy would rather repair from bare metal. we don't like to work over top of previous work, never know how it was done & usually comes back & bites you in the keester :vic

Back