• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'67/'68 Gear selector light

johnpro

My daughter's '67 has a C4 with a console. The light fixture for the gear selector light isn't attached to anything, so just kind of moves around occasionally. It looks like it should bolt to something but I can't see what.

Anyone have a picture of what it attaches to, or at least describe what I should be looking for?

I checked the wiring diagrams and the NPD catalog, but neither show anything about it.

I would think that it would be the same for 65 thru 68 with the light bulb holder is clipped into a square hole on the bottom linkage of the arm. John, does your bulb holder have a metal clip welded to it? Kind of U shape?

No, it looks nothing like the '65-'66 unit. It's a much larger unit that slides into a tray below the indicator plate. Just not sure what it attaches to, although it seems like it would have to be the shifter, but you can't see that area without more disassembly.

Apparently the '65-'68 are all the same as long as the '67-'68 is non console. The '67-'68 is different if it has a console, and uses a different shifter.

The console used a specific shifter that had a bracket welded to it. There is a slider gizmo that is in the console and a rod that connects the light in the slider to the shifter. It is nothing like the non console shifter light but you could fab up the parts if you are not worried about getting a few point deducted in the MCA show... :crazy
slider with light:
41DrYH0wEGL.jpg

rod that conects slide to shiter:
SR67-C.jpg

the shifter just has a tab with a hole in it welded on for the rod to connect to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure why it cant be modified to work like a non console shifter light. But i never delt with a console. Anyway here is pics of 67 non console just for comparison sake.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
here's a pic of the shifter with the litle bracket:
72_27_06_09_4_28_05.jpg

this assembly would connect to the shifter:
72_27_06_09_4_27_17.jpg

If you have the slider part with the bulb in it then the rest should be easy to make... the slider would be tuff to fab but it could be done too.

OMG John, That is far different than the 65/66. Why did you buy such a car anyway? LOL......Sorry no help.

tarafied1, those pictures are worth a thousand words! The rod that connects the shifter to the light assembly is the part that I'm missing. Thank you very much! I had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for.

For clarification to the others, the reason it is so different, is that on a '67/'68 console, there are different colored lenses for each of the various gears that the light "lights up". These lenses are quite a ways behind the shifter, so the '65/'66 setup (which is the same as the '67/'68 non-console setup) won't work, as they have the indicator right next to the shifter.

Back