• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Fastback trunk tension rod, need pics

1965GTFB

Need to see pics of a 67 fastback trunk rod. Specifically the pass side end of the rod and the bar/piece that goes from the rod to the solid pat of the hinge. We are reassembling and using the parts that were on the car but it had been monkeyed with having a carriage bolt and a nut welded on. The flat bar from the tension rod to the hinge that acts as the stop when open(that part is working fine) hits the hinge just before the trunk is all the way closed. Wondering if the straight flat bar is not the original correct piece.

A few photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9675515@N04/sets/72157646151019093/

The flat piece attached to mine is pretty wobbly, probably as much as 1/2 inch left-to-right when not connected to the tension rod. But it doesn't hit anything when going down. Is the tension rod moving too much when closing the lid, pulling that flat bar into the hinge arm? Do you have the tension rod clamp screwed to the decklid, via two screws in the center?

A few photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9675515@N04/sets/72157646151019093/

The flat piece attached to mine is pretty wobbly, probably as much as 1/2 inch left-to-right when not connected to the tension rod. But it doesn't hit anything when going down. Is the tension rod moving too much when closing the lid, pulling that flat bar into the hinge arm? Do you have the tension rod clamp screwed to the decklid, via two screws in the center?

Rod is screwed down with the 2 screws, rubber sleeve and bracket to the center of the deck lid. The original pressed/riveted on pin at the bottom of the flat bar piece was gone and had been replaced by a carriage bolt(head to the outside) and a nut welded on the inside. I'm using(from outside to inside) hex bolt/thin plastic washer(to keep the paint on)/trunk hinge/thin plastic washer/flat bar piece that connects to rod/thin plastic washer/nylock nut. It doesn't wobble too much at all. The flat bar piece is hitting on the stop that you can see in your 3rd pic at about the 5:30 position. It hits when the trunk is about 2" short of closing.

How long is the flat bar piece on yours? Does your flat bar slide past the stop?

The flat bar is exactly 4 3/4" long. The hole where the tension bar goes in is kind of an oval, and from the end of the flat bar to the center of that oval is 5/16".

My bar hits on that stop too, it doesn't slide past - but it's bouncy as it sits there, the tension rod is flexing. Isn't yours? Otherwise the decklid rests right hard on the latch. You have to push past this spring cushion,
to engage the latch.

The flat bar is exactly 4 3/4" long. The hole where the tension bar goes in is kind of an oval, and from the end of the flat bar to the center of that oval is 5/16".

My bar hits on that stop too, it doesn't slide past - but it's bouncy as it sits there, the tension rod is flexing. Isn't yours? Otherwise the decklid rests right hard on the latch. You have to push past this spring cushion,
to engage the latch.
Thanks for the help guys.
The 67 setup is a pain. Trunk fits perfect without the rod the all the torque of the rod moves it all over the place and sucks the PS front corner way down.
Going to order some 68 hinges. Bad part is that means a little more money to spend with the painter.

Thanks for the help guys.
The 67 setup is a pain. Trunk fits perfect without the rod the all the torque of the rod moves it all over the place and sucks the PS front corner way down.
Going to order some 68 hinges. Bad part is that means a little more money to spend with the painter.

Thats exactly the reason why I changed to the 68 style.I left mine black.

Back