• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'67 PS stud 5/16" to 3/8" AFR head thread?

Jonk67

Ok I'm to the point where I'm adding accessories back to the front of the engine. Tried to mount my PS bracket and found that the AFR heads have 3/8" threaded holes and the original PS long stud is 5/16".

Is there an insert to step up from 5/16" course to 3/8" course, like a helicoil?

Or should I drill out my PS bracket to accept a 3/8" stud? I'll have to drill both ends and the steel spacer, seems like more work than a thread insert but do like the idea of a beefier 3/8" stud. The 5/16" seems awfully thin to support the majority of the wt. of the PS pump and belt tension. The alt. uses a 3/8" bolt.
Jon

Drill the bracket. You can probably pick up a larger bore spacer at the hardware store to save having to drill the one you have.

"Jonk67" said:
Ok I'm to the point where I'm adding accessories back to the front of the engine. Tried to mount my PS bracket and found that the AFR heads have 3/8" threaded holes and the original PS long stud is 5/16".

Is there an insert to step up from 5/16" course to 3/8" course, like a helicoil?

Or should I drill out my PS bracket to accept a 3/8" stud? I'll have to drill both ends and the steel spacer, seems like more work than a thread insert but do like the idea of a beefier 3/8" stud. The 5/16" seems awfully thin to support the majority of the wt. of the PS pump and belt tension. The alt. uses a 3/8" bolt.
Jon

I got a set of plugs for my AFR heads that were used as adapters if you needed to mount accessories to them, I bought these heads second hand, but I am sure AFR sells them.

Thanks, I figured there was something but didn't wait and drilled everything out. mixed up my bolt sizes above working on too many at once. The stock PS pump support stud is 3/8" but the AFR head holes are 7/16" so I picked up some all thread, cut to length and put a sleeve over it to hide the threads in the bracket opening. Came out ok, sturdier I feel. I also had to tap the hole for the upper left bracket bolt that goes through the wp/tc as only the 1/2" of the tc is threaded and was stripped out like normal. I'm using an alum. pump so I just tapped up to the next size (3/8"?) through the pump and tc to the whole ~1 1/2" is threaded for better holding. Now if I can find where I put the alt. spacer I can continue with accessories....
IMG_1568.jpg

Tapping mount hole with new threads
IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

When I come across a pump without a dented up casing I'll have it rebuilt by Stanger, until then this reman will do. The return line also points up which makes hose routing difficult, I think the '67 is supposed to point straight out or down?

Jon

Back