• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 fastback, paint on C-stripes or decal?

caspian65

Doing a '68 fastback for a friend. It's a '68.5 cobra jet fastback 4 speed car that was originally Lime Gold with black std. interior. We are painting the car black and staying with black interior. We had to do a lot of sheet metal work on the car, but it turned out really nice so far. The plan with this one is to make it look relatively stock, but do some subtle mild improvements here and there. Nothing crazy, just things like base/clear paint buffed perfect slick, leather instead of vinyl in the interior, 15" chrome wheels that look like the 14" ones and then internal tricks to the motor and drive-train. Maybe a few suspension upgrades here and there. We know the car will never be that upper level concours car, so we are having a little fun with it. Most everything that is done could be reversed without too much trouble.

So, getting ready for paint now and are trying to decide what to do with C stripes. In keeping the theme of "a little better than stock", we were thinking of doing C stripes in a dark gray, painted on and then clear-coat over. I don't like the term "ghost-stripes", but I suppose that's what we're thinking. Don't absolutely have to do C-stripes, but the car would have had them originally, so kind of want to stick to the right GT look.

The hood poses a similar situation. On CJ's, there was a black hood stripe that ran down the middle. I'm pretty sure black cars didn't get this treatment as the stripe appears to be gloss on original paint cars. So, thought maybe we would possibly go dark gray like the C-stripes?

There probably won't be any other changes to the exterior over stock, so I'm wondering if the painted on stripes will look out of place. Will probably go with factory-style tinted glass, but that's about it. Also have to consider that this is an original R code fastback, so don't want to cheapen the appearance and have people going, "why the hell did they do that?"

I should mention that the doors and fenders are already painted, so if we go with painted stripes, my body guy isn't going to be too happy!

Not sure what to do and hoped the fix might be able to help out on some ideas!

For the hood, is a flat black stripe out of the question?

Personally, I think a white C-stripe would look very sharp on this car, and make the black color pop even more...

Charles I didn't think I'd ever see the day when you were associated with a "modified" Mustang! LOL

I agree with Randy that a white "C" stripe would really pop on a nice black exterior. That would still leave your hood stripe issue though (obviously). I would think charcoal stripes (or even true ghost stripes), would get lost in the black.

p.s. Thumbs up on those rims!! :thu :thu

Stay away from white on the c's. Your car is gonna be "black and rims" and that is all you need. Don't overpower the black with bold colors, it takes away. If your gonna do the c stripes, then a dark charcoal under the clear it would look great. Imagine this car with a faint ghost stripe under the clear.

"Ponyman66" said:
Charles I didn't think I'd ever see the day when you were associated with a "modified" Mustang! LOL

Well, I would have a hard time calling this a modified car. Consider it more of a "refinement" over stock configuration. Using better materials where possible and still retaining a relatively stock appearance. Improving upon the factory assembly line workmanship, without making it look like a 1:1 full-scale testors model!

There's nothing else on the car that will be white, so not sure that white c-stripes would fit well. Maybe adding some pearl to the same black used on the rest of the car?

The default option would be to paint the hood stripe matte black and use stick on black vinyl c-stripes. Not sure how that would look...

dont know if you can take anything out of this, but here is a bike i painted & flamed in those colors a couple years ago. the charcoal looks a bit brighter in these pics but really looked good on the black & blended well with the chrome.

IMG_0118.jpg

Charles:

A little late to the bar-b-que here but since you asked for opinions (and assuming you haven't already made a decision) I suggest using a middle tone silver gray somewhere between dark argent and argent as the accent color for the C stripe and hood stripe. Just enough without being too much. As a benchmark, take a look at SEM rattle can bumper paint in Dark Titanium Metallic for an idea of what tone I'm suggesting. I used this on the rear tail panel on my car and like the contrast with the rest of the car. It could work on your car as well.

Regards, Jeff

IMG_0047.jpg

Thanks Jeff. Pretty much decided I will go with a low gloss black painted hood stripe and have stick-on side stripes made to match.

Back