• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 fastback rear reflector placement

sigtauenus

I decided to ditch the 3M tape idea and just go ahead and drill the holes, but I need measurements and I need them in the next day or two.

I am having my dad take some pictures and measurements off my 68 Coupe which is at his house, but I'm unsure if the approx 1" difference in coupe to fastback quarter lengths affect reflector placement on the quarter.

My thought is that measuring from the top (ridge) and back (end cap) will give me the same result for both Coupe and Fastback.

Is this correct?

We are talking about the reflector with the chrome trim that mounts above the surface of the quarter, not the one inset in the quarter.

If anybody has pics and measurements for fastback, I'd greatly appreciate it if you can post here, PM, or email me at sigtauenus at aol dot com

Leave them off, they look better.... I could maybe get you a measurement on the inside, but not sure how he finished the inside of the trunk, I may not be able to see where he filled the holes.

You can see how it looks without them in my sig pic.

"Fast68back" said:
Leave them off, the look better.... I could maybe get you a measurement on the inside, but not sure how he finished the inside of the trunk, I may not be able to see where he filled the holes.

You can see how it looks without in my sig pic.

I have to agree, leave them off. But I do have a pic of a coupe, just no measurements. fd

"FordDude" said:
I have to agree, leave them off. But I do have a pic of a coupe, just no measurements. fd

Funny thing though, first comment I ever got on my car at a car show was a guy asking me why I removed them. I told him same reason I removed the front fender emblems, I like it better with the clean look. He hadnt noticed the front fender, just the rear reflectors. if my car had the flush mount ones I would have left them, but two holes...fill 'em...

"Fast68back" said:
the flush mount ones

Were the surface mount early production and then they changed to the flush mount? Or is it some other reason. fd

"FordDude" said:
Were the surface mount early production and then they changed to the flush mount? Or is it some other reason. fd

I think its the other way around, the chrome was late production. My car was built 3/1/68 in Metchum, Ooops, you had it right

My car had a production date of 2/28/68 and it had flush mount lights. They ended up on ebay and I fliled the fenders. Much cleaner look. I haven't had anyone comment about my missing lights. They tend to look at the other stuff I destroyed on the car. :lol

I agree with leaving them off.

Here is the best picture of where mine is located.
DBNewWheels.jpg
I will try and measure tonight but I am real busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me clarify when I said flush mount I had the type of light that were recessed into the fender and not on top.

Why not just use the double sided tape... that way if you ever decide to remove them you don't have to worry about the holes or placment...

+1 on leaving them off altogether...

"stangg" said:
Why not just use the double sided tape... that way if you ever decide to remove them you don't have to worry about the holes or placment...

+1 on leaving them off altogether...

That is the best idea that I have seen here. Unless you are Charles Turner why drill holes? fd

FWIW, I just went out and measured the reflector holes on my San Jose built '68 Convertible project. The rear most hole is 2 5/16" from the rear quarter edge and the front hole is 7 15/16" from the rear quarter edge. The distance from the top edge of the quarter to the rear hole is 12" and, for the front hole, 12 5/8" . Hope this helps you figure out the correct placement for your fastback.

"sigtauenus" said:
You guys are really a tough crowd. If nothing else you're really making me second guess drilling the holes.

I think that maybe we are finally getting through to Siggy. :vic fd

So if some guys on a forum told you to NOT jump off a bridge would you not do that too? :craz Ponder that. :eek:mg I say jump....but don't drill the holes. :lol

Back