• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 fastback ride height - opinion

sigtauenus

I was reading in the Mustang Monthly this month about spring heights and how some people choose the wrong springs and get a car that doesn't sit level.

I had a problem many years ago with balancing out the car, ie, the rear sagged low even with new springs, and I bought a set of rear springs with a 1" lift. I know, I know, everybody drops their car, not raises it, but I was trying to get it level. Anyhow, I overshot level by a little bit and the car with those springs sits a little high in the back.

Exact measurements are 27 3/4 to the wheel lip up front, 28 3/8 in the back.

I actually like the stance as it is, but don't want to have the appearance of a jacked up rear end.

427_15_03_10_2_37_39_1.jpg

427_15_03_10_2_37_40_3.jpg

Is that 1/2" difference noticable or look bad? I guess since I don't have the car together yet it may settle out differently anyhow so this may be moot. But as I'm looking at my budget to finish the car (yeah, go ahead and laugh, I said "finish," as if it will ever really be done), I don't really want to spend another couple bills on new springs that I hadn't planned on.

It really looks fine the way it is. Theres always things that can be redone later on, and this wont be the last you will come across im sure. It could be worse, this is my car, after my new springs (would you believe the engine is actually in). Mark loves this stance. :barf
sig-1.jpg

Sam

Personely it is not bad that the rear of the car is higher then the front.Look at modern cars.
So , if i had your car , i would lower the front a bit. A bit , it doesn't have to be a lowrider but a little bit lower looks better IME.
But then again , you can do this when the car has more milage and the suspension has been settled.
Again , my opinion.

Car looks pretty well and balanced as is. Could be a tad bit lower on both ends but I wouldn't even think about it till the car is fully assembled and the springs have had a chance to settle.

Same here. Your car is beautiful by the way. I think it looks pretty well balanced for now and until you get the weight right , including some gas, you can not dial it in yet. I have mine raked with the old school look and different size tires. I think I might go with the same tire size all the way around and get the rear down. I had no idea this is what I wanted until yesterday on my first drive. So until you get right down to the first drive day any decision can happen. I think both ends of yours are too high and if you could equally bring it down it would look best.

I hate to be the oddball.......yeah right!! But for me, I'd like to see your car dropped both front and back by maybe a strong 1 inch+. There is way too much gap between the top of the fender lip and the top of the tire.

Center of front lip to ground....23-7/8"
Center of rear lip to ground....25-1/4"

4_21_03_10_8_52_15_0.JPG

4_21_03_10_8_52_15_1.jpg

I rolled the rear lips after paint job which was a bear since it was after the fact.

I think it looks decent as-is. If I were you I'd wait until everything was back on the car and see what it looks like then. If you still aren't sure but don't want to mess with replacing springs you could always fill it up with more tire.

+1 to Doug's comment, get everything back on before you make any decisions. You would be surprised how much all that stuff weighs. Rear glass, door glass, weather strip, trim, seats, it adds up quick.

Back