• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Mustang Trailer, made out of a Mustang

tarafied1

Jon,
Here is a cool trailer idea...
13881.JPG

13882.JPG

13883.JPG

13884.JPG

13888.JPG

13895.JPG

13912.JPG

13916.JPG

13918.JPG

Very interesting. maybe good for parades? :shrug

Not sure I would want to chop up a classic Mustang to make a trailer though. :confu

"RapidRabbit" said:
Very interesting. maybe good for parades? :shrug

Not sure I would want to chop up a classic Mustang to make a trailer though. :confu
Jon has half a 68 Coupe hiding in his back yard, waiting for just such a fate.

Im not sure i would want the liability of people riding back there. Is that even legal? I think its better suited to leave the doors and seat off.

Jon and I both talked about building one of these, Jon probably will. I was going to build one for the Power Tour because I couldn't haul my wife and two boys and all our clothes in the car alone. The trailer wouldn't be for riding in on the road. My plan was to use the extra trunk space and then when at car shows and stuff the kids or my wife and I could sit in the trailer. Only when parked however. Anyway, my project car turned into the Drag car but Jon literally has half a coupe and still plans to build something like this.

I remember all those plans... Did his wife find it behind the shed yet? If so, how did that go? :no :nut :shrug

I like it . I thought about doing something like that with one of our Ranchero's.

This little ditty is cool too.

4802747608_48b601d270_z.jpg

That is one short Falcon.....but cool. There have been some Mustang ones done like that too.

Thanks for the pics Craig, I'll keep them in my trailer folder for ideas. Wonder if he has a tonneau cover under the conv. boot to protect from rain? but I don't see any snap areas? Guess it's a no rain parade only trailer and was originally a vert.

I don't plan to add the doors, as with you I mainly want to use it for extra storage space but am considering adding rear seats for slow speed parades, probably add a 'foot board' sloping up from rear floor to protect feet. I'll make the rear (coupe) seats fold down too so I can fit more stuff and fab some type of lockable cover for the front area (that'll be the hard part to make it look 'good' or '60's style). I want to be able to use it for Xmas parades, etc., car shows, long trips, track events to hold tires, etc.

I plan to drop the trunk as low as the gas tank and wide as the inner frame rails for max. space and use torsion axles like these so I won't have the obstruction/wt. of a rear end/full axle. Once I figure out the empty vs. loaded wt. I'll pick the appropriate torsion axle for that wt., it'll have IRS!

torsionaxlelight.jpg
Torsionaxleheavy.jpg

As a refresher here's some pics of when I hauled it home from KY, the seller was going to scrap the entire car for cash as no one would pay even $200 for the shell. It was a 6cyl car and had a lot of rust. I pulled the steering column as it was a collapseable '68 and he sent the front end to the jy and got $60 for it.
IMG_0743.jpg

I paid him $100 for the rear. It took ~4hrs. to cut in half, remove the 7.5 4 lug rear (left with him) and load up. Took 2 batteries on the sawsall and some good metal cutting bits but made it through the rockers and w/s posts.

IMG_0740.jpg

Made a stop a the corvette museum for a photo opp, fit perfect almost on my 8' tilt boat trailer, couldn't get the leaf springs off so it wouldn't sit down over the fenders:

IMG_0747.jpg

TMK it has yet to be discovered by SWMBO (trust me I'd have heard about it), my 12yo daugter has found it as I found some flowers attempting to be grown in a jar on the rear shelf...gonna have to bribe her with something. The wife just doesn't have the 'diamond in the rough' eye most of us have, better to show it to her when it's done. Better to ask forgiveness than permission I've found. It's covered with a tarp and strapped down. The wife never goes behind the shed, tires, exh., etc. just sitting back there. It's off the trailer and on cement blocks now:

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Likewise she has no clue how to find this forum, I only show her some of the pics in the GOF section for laughs.
Jon

yep, i will admit its still sitting here..and jon has a sinister smile on his face when you ask him has the wife found out yet...lol

Back