• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Shock Towers on a 65?

tarafied1

Just thinking out loud here...
Okay, yawl know I bought a 65 Mustang hardtop. It was going to be a parts car for the Falcon but that is probably going to be a gasser so I won't need much off the car. Also I have a pending deal on a 65 Fastback, probably not much on the coupe needed there either.
so... What to do with the 65 Coupe. The front frame rails are shot from the shock towers forward. The Shock Towers are shot too. I have the front clip that I cut off of the 68 Fastback. The rails are good and so are the shock towers. The width looks the same on the rails. I have a new radiator core support and aprons for the 65 (the originals are all shot too). What do you think about grafting the 68 front rails and shock towers on to the 65?
I know the track width will be wider but I could overcome that with more offset on the front wheels.
I'm thinking I have almost enough parts to put together a running/driving car to resell (and It will give me something to do in my spare time). :hide

Can't say anything about that because I can't compare the 68 shock tower to a 65 one.
Frame dimensions are the same for 65-68 so the only big change where the shocktowers and they were changed in 67 to make room for a bigblock :confu :confu
So the front suspension must be from 68 model.
Doesn't it look odd when the car is finished and the rear tires are more tucked away in the body ???? Use of spacer on the back tires ????
Some things to think about.Maybe I forgot some other things too to consider with.

It can and has been done. This was done in the past to install bigger motors in the 65-6. You just need to use the suspension from the 68. It can be done. I know a guy that is looking for the parts to do this in his 65 for more room for his 351w stroker.

Bill

What he said.
I've seen a few '65 cars modified like that and was a judge
for a show at Sea World in the 80's where one car had a
427 FE out of a wrecked cobra.

I know the front and rear track width would be different. I could compensate with wheel offset.
I have all the 68 suspension parts and the shock towers, I thought it would be a cheap way to save the car...

I think I am going to go for it. All the specs I find say the 65/66 track width is 56" and 67/68 is 58.1" so that's only a hair over an inch per side. Skinny tires might compensate without even using a different offset rim.
I'm just going to put the whole 68 front frame clip on the 65 and use the 65 Aprons and Rad support. I've got all the parts to do it, now I just need the guts! Worst case, the frame needs replaced anyway, I can always cut the 68 towers off later...

Back