• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

69 racing mirrors on my 67

Fst Blk

Has anybody used the 69 painted mirrors on an earlier car. I don't want chrome or polished anywhere on the body, so these mirrors painted body color would look good I think. Opinions?

Bill

If they mount correctly at the right angle I think the would look good.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

"Laurie S." said:
Yes, I have dual racing mirrors on Trouble. They look great!

Did you use factory 69 style mirrors or an era type mirror. I've seen them listed for the 69's for 130 ish a mirror and era styles listed considerably cheaper.

These are the era style I'm talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SPORT-M ... 9b&vxp=mtr
ebaymirrors001.jpg

The bases are different than the factory 69's I guess.
me32l.jpg

I like both really. Which ones do you guys like better?

Bill

Definitely the OEM style over the ebay ones... I'm guessing the ebay ones are on par with the universal ones that everyone seemed to use back in the 70s&80s... they tended to flop around after a couple years. These may be better, but every time the get bumped you'll probably loosen them up a bit... The OEM style at least has the mirror captive in the housing and probably less of a chance to loosen them up.. besides... the OEM ones look nicer IMO. Another thing on the ebay ones, the passenger side mirror always looks off because you have to turn it so much to see that it looks odd from an exterior view.

Something else you should check is if you'll have clearance for the vent window operation. Sometimes the optimal mirror position interfers with the wing window.

"Fst Blk" said:
"Laurie S." said:
Yes, I have dual racing mirrors on Trouble. They look great!

Did you use factory 69 style mirrors or an era type mirror. I've seen them listed for the 69's for 130 ish a mirror and era styles listed considerably cheaper.

I like both really. Which ones do you guys like better?

Bill
The 69 style has always been one of my favorites.

The E-Bay ones look cheap and all the points given as to why the OEM is better are spot on. I would also venture to bet that the more expensive units are made of higher quality material would probably result in a better painted appearance and longevity.

"stangg" said:
Definitely the OEM style over the ebay ones... I'm guessing the ebay ones are on par with the universal ones that everyone seemed to use back in the 70s&80s... they tended to flop around after a couple years. These may be better, but every time the get bumped you'll probably loosen them up a bit... The OEM style at least has the mirror captive in the housing and probably less of a chance to loosen them up.. besides... the OEM ones look nicer IMO. Another thing on the ebay ones, the passenger side mirror always looks off because you have to turn it so much to see that it looks odd from an exterior view.

Something else you should check is if you'll have clearance for the vent window operation. Sometimes the optimal mirror position interfers with the wing window.

Very valid points. They would probably be sloppy after awhile.

Laurie, did you have any issues with the mirrors like mentioned above?

Bill

If any of you 69-70 guys have an extra set you don't have room to store LMK :whis

After looking, I do like the factories better. I like these better than all the rest though, but they won't fit with the rest of the build. Too blingy.

$(KGrHqV,!pUFD2bWq93UBR!DSDjWRg~~60_57.JPG

Bill

I used NOS 69 style mirrors. You do need to mount them further forward than the stock 68 mirrors or they will interfere with opening the vent window.

Well , sorry, but I don't like it, FWIW.
I must say also that I am a foreigner and have a different taste in many cases.
Give me the bullet style ones.
Just my 0.02 eurocent

"Fst Blk" said:
... I like these better than all the rest though, but they won't fit with the rest of the build. Too blingy.

$(KGrHqV,!pUFD2bWq93UBR!DSDjWRg~~60_57.JPG

Bill
that's what I have on mine. I like how they look but they are almost useless (too small)

I remember you telling me that and witnessing it first hand driving your car. With me wanting to black all the window trim and other trim out, these would look out of place.

Bill

"Laurie S." said:
Here's what they look like on my fastback:

tmirror7.jpg
I have the same on Frankenstang.
They were used here in OZ on the XA & XB Falcons.
I bought a USA Drivers side one and gutted it for the remote cables, so i have remotes on both sides.
I used spacers from the Cortina (which comes from England and also used the same mirror in the TE model)
which straightened up the angle and moved them away from the vent window at bit more.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Bill try and remind me next week, I'll see what my friend has laying around.

:thum Craig and I are going to pick up 2 69 FB's in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping maybe there's a couple sets there.

Bill

Try a pair from the 71-73 cars. IIRC Ford used the same type on the Maveric and maybe some of the other models like Pinto, MII, and Lincolns too.

Also try junk yards many GM cars like the 80 Grand Prix used them. I think a trip to the local pick a part may yield a perfect pair cheap.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Back