• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

69 racing mirrors on my 67

"guruatbol" said:
Try a pair from the 71-73 cars. IIRC Ford used the same type on the Maveric and maybe some of the other models like Pinto, MII, and Lincolns too.

Also try junk yards many GM cars like the 80 Grand Prix used them. I think a trip to the local pick a part may yield a perfect pair cheap.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads up Mel.

Bill

"stangg" said:
Definitely the OEM style over the ebay ones... I'm guessing the ebay ones are on par with the universal ones that everyone seemed to use back in the 70s&80s... they tended to flop around after a couple years. These may be better, but every time the get bumped you'll probably loosen them up a bit... The OEM style at least has the mirror captive in the housing and probably less of a chance to loosen them up.. besides... the OEM ones look nicer IMO. Another thing on the ebay ones, the passenger side mirror always looks off because you have to turn it so much to see that it looks odd from an exterior view.

Something else you should check is if you'll have clearance for the vent window operation. Sometimes the optimal mirror position interfers with the wing window.
Actually, I have 69 racing mirrors on my 69 vert that I put on the car after I bought it. Back then they were about $109 each at NPD. I really don't get why you want to spend the $130 a mirror on pieces that are incorrect for that year Mustang anyway. The bases are at specific angles to mate up with the fender angle of the 69/70 or 71/72/73 bodies. Looks like Laurie got them on her car, but they are standing way too erect, which means the contour of the 67/68 body is flatter than the 69/70. The chrome Shelby style might be more appropriate for your car. And don't kid yourself about spending the extra bucks to avoid floppy mirrors. I've had to repair my passenger side mirror twice to tighten up the floppy head. One of those times I actually had to pick the mirror head with the shattered glass off of a busy boulevard when it got so floppy it flopped clean out of the mirror body on a hard left turn! That was one of those "Frogger" moments.

I understand not wanting the Chrome. They would be the only chrome on the car.
what about MG mirrors
mUHMz7B8gEDY6SuqfinPnQA.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-STYLE-SIDE-MIRROR-BK-MGA-TRIUMPH-TR4-TR3-MGB-GT-AUSTIN-MINI-V8-MORRIS-MG-/161195554429?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258800f67d&vxp=mtr

Just added a pair to a '68 coupe, an EXP500 repli-bute.

Drilled new holes to mount them just below the body line to accommodate the different mount angle, decided a shim/spacer would look odd. And IIRC we shifted them back just a tiny bit to clear the vent window.

Mocked up

- OEM square standards
- OEM remotes
- original style 69 racing (NPD's)

5 people plus me in the shop, the 69's won the "which looks best" vote 6-0.... but some people like red, some blue... so no one "right" answer... they give the car a more aggressive look... which ties into the EXP500 Shelbyization being done...

"mert" said:
Just added a pair to a '68 coupe, an EXP500 repli-bute.

Drilled new holes to mount them just below the body line to accommodate the different mount angle, decided a shim/spacer would look odd. And IIRC we shifted them back just a tiny bit to clear the vent window.

Mocked up

- OEM square standards
- OEM remotes
- original style 69 racing (NPD's)

5 people plus me in the shop, the 69's won the "which looks best" vote 6-0.... but some people like red, some blue... so no one "right" answer... they give the car a more aggressive look... which ties into the EXP500 Shelbyization being done...
:rulz Peet chures.

The guys were too efficient, disassembled and already in etch primer... going to be a month or two before color goes on the car and they get put back together.... will make a note to post then...

Back