• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70 boss 302. deal or no deal?

RapidRabbit

Donator
So I looked at this yesterday.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know all about the boss cars, but I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

1970 boss 302. Original color yellow. Mostly original body panels.
Non original block. Not numbers matching.

Needs a full resto.

The guy is asking $35,000.

Just curious.
858dcc6bdc91585ed1a19d4cdcf442c7.jpg
dc48e0c5cc2d6e7cd7b29caa8f75a7c9.jpg
7741e1e5d2f5ee7f3505a0e3fb675a9e.jpg
9e822a5e37a7259079e51299836fef0c.jpg
f414387a482ad09b57272f1d0fa21b28.jpg
7991b194763e59840598d605992cde26.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Too lazy to look up values of recent Boss sales. I'm far from a Boss expert. I'll answer based on what I know about the costs to make a car like this whole again.

I see serious rust in just about every panel. When you see something with rust through you know there is a lot more hiding behind the paint (and likely Bondo). No way the floors and rails aren't rusty as well unless they were replaced at some point but you'd have to figure if they did that they would have done quarters, etc as well. I see a car that would need a ton of metal work. If you can't do it yourself...walk away. It only gets more costly from here.

All the mechanicals would need gone through. That's pricey enough but if you need/want to stay true to using Boss bits that tag is much greater. I'd go inch by inch over it and verify all the Boss specific bits (good/bad/ugly) are present. If not, do a serious search to find out if the missing can be had and at what price.

Only way I would personally consider the car would be if I wanted such a bodied 70 mustang and didn't care that it started life as a Boss. I'd value it as a similar '70 in this condition and then put something on top as a cost of it being an original Boss. That bonus payment would be far less than I'm sure the seller thinks its worth. Of course, I'd make damn sure it really was before I did anything!

My bottom line answer would be to pass. You could build as nice or nicer a Boss tribute if that was your thing for far less and enjoy it more as you could drive the hell out of it and not have a care in the world about using an original as a driver.

Too lazy to look up values of recent Boss sales. I'm far from a Boss expert. I'll answer based on what I know about the costs to make a car like this whole again.

I see serious rust in just about every panel. When you see something with rust through you know there is a lot more hiding behind the paint (and likely Bondo). No way the floors and rails aren't rusty as well unless they were replaced at some point but you'd have to figure if they did that they would have done quarters, etc as well. I see a car that would need a ton of metal work. If you can't do it yourself...walk away. It only gets more costly from here.

All the mechanicals would need gone through. That's pricey enough but if you need/want to stay true to using Boss bits that tag is much greater. I'd go inch by inch over it and verify all the Boss specific bits (good/bad/ugly) are present. If not, do a serious search to find out if the missing can be had and at what price.

Only way I would personally consider the car would be if I wanted such a bodied 70 mustang and didn't care that it started life as a Boss. I'd value it as a similar '70 in this condition and then put something on top as a cost of it being an original Boss. That bonus payment would be far less than I'm sure the seller thinks its worth. Of course, I'd make damn sure it really was before I did anything!

My bottom line answer would be to pass. You could build as nice or nicer a Boss tribute if that was your thing for far less and enjoy it more as you could drive the hell out of it and not have a care in the world about using an original as a driver.
+1.

That is a HARD pass for that kind of money. That car will be a TON of work to get solid again and I wouldn’t bet a nickel that much in the drivetrain is legit or salvageable. Many oddities on the car make for even less confidence (bogus stripe, Mach 1 rear valence, mix-n-match interior bits, etc.).

So, I agree with all of that.

I wasn't looking for a boss or anything, I just kind of got drawn into this one. Until I came to my senses.

The work involved is really to much and there were a lot of questionable issues.

The drivers side floor is toast, passenger torque box is bad. Inner aprons are rotted up top.

Pretty sure after stripping there wouldn't be much salvageable.

It has rear window louvers at some point and the holes looked like someone just goobed weld in to fill the holes.

He hand painted the boss emblems.

He said he had a bunch of the missing boss parts, but of unknown condition.

It does run and drive but not sure how well.

Definitely a pass for me, was just curious what you guys would make of it.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Surprisingly, decent driver quality Boss 302's can be purchased for not bad money. $50-70K. I can guarantee this car will have much more than that amount into it just to make it look respectable. For less than $10K this could be doable, but even then getting the correct parts and restoring it will bring the investment north of 6 figures.

+1

BTW isn't that a 351C engine.
To me , it started live as a mach 1 ..at least the body ...my 2 eurocents.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk
Nope. Water outlet is in the manifold. A Cleveland water outlet is in the block and the decks are MUCH taller.

Back