• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

70 disc upgrade ?'s

coupster

I want to go from all drums, to front discs on my 70 coupe. I now have 70 disc spindles/brackets/hoses. No backing plates. I am thinking I will need a stock 70 M/C for disc, 70 single piston calipers, 70 rotors, and proportioning valve? is this correct? What am I missing?

Are stock rotors a "2 piece" deal with a seperate hub and rotor?

I am unsure about the proportioning valve (or lack of). It's been a long time, I don't think/remember if I have the correct one.
I only have a distribution block?
I think I will need to plumb in a proportioning valve instead?
I also have a set of Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers on the shelf. I was told these should fit my disc brackets and can be used instead of the single piston calipers? Will these interchange or do I need different brackets? Is there any benefit to these calipers over the stock single piston calipers? (other than I already have them).
I will begin tearing into this shortly. I still need to pick up the upper and lower arms. I have new springs/insulators, roller perches, sway bar waiting to go in. I'm going to do all front suspension, disc brake conversion, and power steering refresh. Wish me luck. It will take a few weeks, but it is not a driver so no hurries.

Ok, I have discovered that Kelsey hayes will not bolt onto the brackets that I have. Maybe with a different bracket they could work, but they also do not fit the hoses I have. (supposedly 70 disc hoses-not sure now). So they are out at this point- will save for my 65-maybe. I have a hub on the spindle, so I need the two piece rotors for that or go with new bearings and rotors. The spindles are 70 & 71 so they at least require the same stuff. I will still need M/C (maverick manual disc) calipers, pads, hardware. I also have a combo/proportioning valve from a granada to cover that issue. I'm getting closer.

from chockostangclassicmustang.com
The 68 - 73 Mustang, and 68 - 71 Torino, Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane FACTORY Stock Disc Brakes are all NEARLY identical.

FORDS FIRST Year for a TRUE Disc Brake Spindle for the Pony cars. A Disc Only spindle which can not be changed over to Drum without a lot of fabrication, NOT as in Prior Years 64-67, where all Spindles were the same on the V8 cars (Accepted Disc, or Drums Stock from Factory)

Only difference is in the Bearing/Spindle Diameter change on the 70 Model Year, and a Tie Rod Pin diameter increase of a few thousands, All other Deminsions, Geometry, Hardware, Calipers, remainded Constant from 68- 73 on the Mustang, and 68 - 71 On the Fairlane, Torino.

72 up Torinos are Totally different, NO Comparision at all, as are allGranada Brakes, No Pieces will interchange

Calipers are all single Piston, Floating design, Unlike first prior years (64-67) were all 4 Piston K/H Style , Hard Bolted Calipers.

Rotors with RACES REMOVED are all indentical from 68-73 on the Mustang, 68-71 On the Torino. So one can install races in these rotors to fit the application for all years. Of Course all Originals were 2 Piece Design), but 2 Piece, one piece, Bottom line All are still Deminsionally alike and will interchange by using Correct Races/Bearing for Rotors.

The stock rotors are two piece and you can purchase and install the rotors separately from the hubs. I have 72 hubs and rotors on my 69 without the power booster and they work well. I wanted the 70-73 hubs because they have a thicker spindle and larger bearings. You should replace the master cylinder with a dual reservoir unit and plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line. Mine is on the inner fender next to the distribution block. Good luck.

I could have sworn I replaced the rotors only on my 72s. Wow. My short term memory must be really slipping.

I just went on the internet and you are correct. The hubs are part of the rotor assembly. I realized that I had done the same job on my 2000 Camaro about the same time as the Mustang and those rotors are separate from the hubs. My bad.

Ford did make two piece rotors. I have an old rusty one in my pile of parts. Replacements were probably one piece....
rotor.jpg

Last edited:
one piece 68/69 rotor
index.php

Is anyone on this forum capable of accepting an apology for a mistake and moving on? I screwed up, OK? BTW, the rotors I was referring to were the 70-73 pieces, not the 68-69. Larger spindles. But who's nit picking, eh?

You don't have to be an ass hole. We are just discussing the topic, not picking on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to be an ass hole. We are just discussing the topic, not picking on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I miss a post that Ken made where he could expect such a response. Come on Craig...really? Ken's response was apologetic.

Is anyone on this forum capable of accepting an apology for a mistake and moving on? I screwed up, OK? BTW, the rotors I was referring to were the 70-73 pieces, not the 68-69. Larger spindles. But who's nit picking, eh?

that does not sound like an apology, that sounds like some one bitching about the responses. I didn't see anyone giving him a hard time about his posts or saying he was wrong or anything like that. Only posts sharing information. he is attacking the replies for no apparent reason. That seams like an ass hole comment to me.

If I am wrong, I am sorry but that is how I read that. I shared some information from Chokostang that supported Ford making two peice, I shared a picture of some parts I happen to have that were 68/69. He made the comments that he thought in the past he had just changed the rotors and not the hubs. All I was saying is that it is quite possible. Instead of "oh hey thanks" I get his snotty comment that can't anyone on here accept he made a mistake and by the way your information is not what I was talking about, in a very snotty sarcastic way. No body said said he made a mistake, one reply said they have always been one piece and I said maybe the the originals were two and replacements were one. If you think his answer is cool then it must be, My bad. Sorry. I won't share anymore info on here as it appears to be a problem. I thought that was what the forum was about. I guess not.

Last edited:
Guys: simmer down. You're reading waaaay too much into these responses.

All 68-73 rotors were two piece. Aftermarket replacements for the most part are one piece rotors. You can still get just the rotor and not the hub. I believe Centrix makes them. I have a set of USA made KH rotors that are two piece. Bought them from Chocko years ago. Still NIB. I'm about to use them on my 66 with 72 spindles.

All the rotors for 68-73 whether one or two piece will fit any 68-73 rotor. You just have to use the correct bearing race for the spindle size. The races that come with rotors can be easily removed and installed.

I believe all disk hubs from 65-73 are the same. The guys doing Trans Am brakes use these hubs and install 68-7? big car rotors that are 11.75" IIRC along with 65-66 T bird and Gaxaly four piston KH calipers. Brackets for this swap are not cheap!

Back