• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

73 coupe gets it's 302 and 3 speed back

Pulled the drivetrain on this car back in 01. Rebuilt the trans gut a new clutch and lots of little parts but then bought a house and shoved the drivetrain back in real quick to move everything. Car sat for a few years while I toyed with the 69, was short on cash for a while, had a family blah blah blah. The short block has about 20K on it from a rebuild in 98 and I put a set of near new E7TE ported heads on it instead of the worn out D3UE heads. Put on an Edelbrock Performer and 650 carb. Gave everything a clean up and respray years ago and it's holding up well. I'm not trying to get a huge case of while I'm at it's. That's what the 69 is for, I just wanna get this one on the road and enjoy it. Would also like another 4 seat car other than the Old Lady's VW New beetle. It's like a moped, it's fun to drive but you don't want your buddies to see you in it

Empty bay
IMG_6238.jpg

New Zoom clutch, looks like it may need more pedal effort than most
IMG_6239.jpg

Got the 3 speed attached
IMG_6243.jpg

It begins
IMG_6245.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

Had to readjust my chain, I really should by the correct tilt mechanism, but that's money to be spent on more parts.
IMG_6248.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

And's it's in.
IMG_6250.jpg

If you notice in the pics no one else is around. Got a bug up my butt and decided I wanted it done now and did it solo. It takes a bit more time but can be done. Those ratchet straps really help to straighten things out. Now for fluids, bleeding the brakes and dropping the fuel tank. We'll see how bad the tank and lines are.

Good Job ! I expect a video of the first start up !
Yes , i know all about building a home , having kids , blabla .It takes time ( years ) but most important ..... you are back on track and enjoy your ride !!! or at least have a great time while working on it.B.

"Sluggo" said:
Cool.

Good to see a 71-73 around here.

And it's a coupe too boot. A real red headed stepchild, well originally it was what I refer to as "Ford Almost Red" AKA Bright red. Was Grandma's car Grandpa bought for her brand new. Have the hand written order form. No window sticker since they new exactly what they were after. The gave it to my mom in her second year of college and my folks got married in it. Older brother drove it through high school then it got passed to me for high school. Shortly after graduating the trans went out and it's been sitting since. Gonna be some heavy flashbacks once I get back behind the wheel, I'm looking forward to it.

Always good to see some of that progress. Looking forward to seeing an update real soon saying she's running. Very cool that its been in your family for so long too.

Back