• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

8 inch Detroit Locker versus Limited Slip

dm289

Can anybody tell me if this is a Detroit Locker or Limited Slip 8" rear differential? I am planning to go look at the differential and the owner claims it is a Detroit Locker out of a 1967 Mustang.

Thank you,

Dan

Attachments

• Locker.jpg
    Locker.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 124
Looks like it could be a trac loc. The ring gear bolts on the side the pic doesn't show is what will tell you the easiest. They should tighten down into recessed areas on the hub. If no recesses (just flat) not a trac loc.

Attachments

• trac_lok2.jpg
    trac_lok2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 121
You don't want a locker. Not for the street. Your car will need to go around corners once and a while. Leave the lockers to race cars.

Horseplay, thanks for the information, the recessed bolts will be a sure sign of what it is... also thanks for the info on the lockers, my guess is that it is a traction lock and I always thought that traction-lock was only available from the factory.. unless someone put in an aftermarket unit...

"Horseplay" said:
You don't want a locker. Not for the street. Your car will need to go around corners once and a while. Leave the lockers to race cars.

I run a Detroit Locker in the back of my Hilux 4WD.
If it was a manual i wouldnt drive it in the rain for all the tea in China as it would be downright dangerous.
Even with the auto, you NEVER stop concentrating through roundabouts and corners when its wet.
Off road though - :thum :thum :thum

"dm289" said:
I've known a couple guys who have gotten parts or entire pigs from them. Good reputation. As a matter of fact, I just picked up my new rear end from a guy building a GT 350 racer clone who just installed a custom rear from them and he swears by them.

Now time for my hypocrite moment. I'm putting a locker under my car. At least initially. The seller (racer) from whom I got it explained that with modern Detroit lockers they are not as noisy and clumsy as back in the day. They do disengage smoothly on turns and re-engagement isn't necessarily as hairy as reputation. He runs them in his race cars and his street car (BB Cobra). Promised me that for my use I would love it.

As a straight line how fast can I go kind of guy I'm giving it a whirl.

I've got the modern "soft" locker under mine too. Once I get it on the road, I'll report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"dm289" said:

I'm assuming this is the same guy(s):
http://www.quickperformance.com/

I almost went with them, but ended up dealing with Phil Cook instead:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/nininc89

Transaction was outside of eBay but he was great to deal with.

I thought very seriously about a Locker but everyone I inquired with discouraged it for the street so I ended up with a Trac-Loc, which I'm happy with. But if I ever break it, I think I'll go with a Tru-trac.

"msell66" said:
or you could buy a true trac and never mess with again!

Today's Detroit soft locker is a good choice, true trac as well, but the original traction lock are not a problem as far as Maintenance goes if they are set up right. True, the clutches can wear out. But unless you are racing 100% of the time! it's unlikely you will need to replace them. I've put over 100,000 miles on many traction lock equipped cars with a lot of punishment thrown in, and never has to replace the clutch pack.

But time marches on, and unless you are wanting to stay with the technology of the 1960's the more modern designs are very attractive. I just like my 1960's era cars to have as much 1960's content as possible, preferences vary.

Z

Back