• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

8" Trac Loc

"rsalway" said:
I have found an 8" Trac Loc chunk with 3.25 gears for $100. Is this a good deal or just an okay deal?

Most 3.00:1 open chunks in working condition go for that price. Snag it up!

Axel splines must match and from most sites I looked at, they most likely will. I would check before you install just top be sure..... Other than that, go for it.

"AzPete" said:
Axel splines must match and from most sites I looked at, they most likely will.

AFAIK all 8 inch axles from Ford were 28 spline... and $100 is a very good price if the gears and bearings are in good shape.

It is highly likely that the clutch packs are worn, however this can be fixed at a modest cost. Be sure to add friction modifier to your gear oil with a clutch type limited slip!

Good luck,
-Rory

Thanks for all of the advice. This helps a lot.

I am trying to make certain it is a trac loc now. The guy says that he is pretty sure it is, but asking for ways to make sure. They both spin in the same direction and at the same rate causing him to believe that it is in fact a trac loc. However, I found this information on the internet (don't know how accurate it is):

"If the rearend is still unchanged, the metal tag will have a "L" in the middle of the gear ratio line. for example, a conventional "open" diff tag would read "3.25, while a Traction Lock tag would read "3L.25". Another way to check, if the tag is missing, if the case has a plug for adding gear oil, is to look inside the filler hole, at the ring gear bolts. On a open diff, the carrier mounting flange is flat, & the heads on the ring gear bolts are 3/4". On a Traction Lock, the ring gear bolts are 5/8" head, and the carriers bolt holes will be countersunk."

The problem he sees, is that the flange is flat and the bolts are 3/4".

Can anyone shed some light on this so that I don't get taken on this? Is it possible to have the flat flange and still have a trac loc set up?

Thanks!

There are redneck ways of converting an open differential to closed with using washers. The system doesn't last very long, nor is very reliable. You probably need to have someone knowledgeable and experienced look at the chunk before buying it.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I asked the guy to have someone with more knowledge look at it and haven't heard back yet. :cry

Back