• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 302 w/AOD on craigslist

Too bad you can't hear it run. Even if it didn't run, there's easily $600-$800 in parts there. You may get by with just a swap and do nothing at all to the setup. That would be REALLY sweet!

The price is right. I'd go for it. Start with an opening offer of around $600 or so and see where it leads.

I used the same combo from an '86 Lincoln Town Car in my blue '66 in Az. Had to deal with the water pump being on the drivers side for the original radiator but other than that, it worked out great. I got my set up for $400 in 2002 or so.........the entire car. I put a 600 Holley on it and managed to make my own shifter linkage to work with the factory floor shifter.

"AzPete" said:
I used the same combo from an '86 Lincoln Town Car in my blue '66 in Az. Had to deal with the water pump being on the drivers side for the original radiator but other than that, it worked out great. I got my set up for $400 in 2002 or so.........the entire car. I put a 600 Holley on it and managed to make my own shifter linkage to work with the factory floor shifter.

I need a new radiator anyway so I guess the pump thing shouldn't be an issue.

I am going to go take a look at it today. I'll probably buy it as long as nothing seem hokey with the deal.
Not sure what direction to go with it though. EFI swap or carb. I would like the AOD though. I do a lot of highway driving with the Stang.

I figure I can always sell off what ever I don't use. The trick flow intake set up alone sells for over $500 on summit.

Well I went to talk to the guy and ended buying the whole setup for $750.
Complete engine, AOD trans, computer and all the wiring, stock intake and manifolds and whatever else he can find to throw in.
He is pulling a bunch of extra parts and even delivering it to my house for me on Thursday. I will put some pics up then.

Now what have I gotten myself into!

Just heard of a late 80's 302 with AOD for sale. The guy has it and a 460 w/ a C6 and is asking $400 for everything just to get it out of his garage. A friend needs the 460 and C6 so we are thinking ablut spliting the cost. Going to look at it this next weekend.

Are there any years or issues I need to lookout for? How can I tell if it is a roller cam? Will heads, intake swap over from the engine I have now for my 70?

For $200 it is hard to pass up, even if I only use the AOD :)

I need a new radiator anyway so I guess the pump thing shouldn't be an issue.

The craigslist ad states that the water pump has been replaced and set up for "standard rotation". Does this mean that it's no longer "reverse rotation"? If it's not a reverse rotation water pump your existing radiator should work.

The Fox style shorty headers should NOT fit your car; they'll likely interfere with the shock towers/steering gearbox.

I agree that it's a good deal @ $750.

Consider retaining the EFI and adjusting the car to operate the motor. You won't regret having an EFI powered car. If you decide to run the EFI there are a few of us here who can guide you through it.

My '86 302 I used was stock and used a normal rotation water pump and two belts to drive things. The alt was high on the drivers side, above the power steering with a ribbed belt on that and the water pump. A V belt drove the power steering I believe. I did not find a pic, of that setup in my collection. I know it had two belts and the only thing changed from stock was the removal of the smog crap. The memory forgets at times.

The details are foggy, but as I remember it the '85 5.0 was the last of the carbed motors. '86 was an odd-ball year with speed density EFI. '87-93 was the more common mass air flow EFI. I know that 87-93 5.0's were all reverse rotation, but I'm not positive about '86 (although I belive it was reverse rotation also). I'm thinking that serp/v-belt setup that was on your '66 was a "not quite stock" configuration, but something that was "made to work" by your PO.

"daveSanborn" said:
The craigslist ad states that the water pump has been replaced and set up for "standard rotation". Does this mean that it's no longer "reverse rotation"? If it's not a reverse rotation water pump your existing radiator should work.

The Fox style shorty headers should NOT fit your car; they'll likely interfere with the shock towers/steering gearbox.

I agree that it's a good deal @ $750.

Consider retaining the EFI and adjusting the car to operate the motor. You won't regret having an EFI powered car. If you decide to run the EFI there are a few of us here who can guide you through it.

The water pump was changed to standard rotation, but he has the original pump also.
I was thinking that the headers may be an issue when I was looking at it.The original manifolds are included also.
I am pretty sure I will go with the EFI setup. that is the main reason I wanted to pick it up.

I might not have bought it if I didn't have such a great group here that I know I can turn to for advice.

No Dave, that stock dual belt was pulled from the Lincoln Town Car I had driven for about 800 miles and then installed in my '66 by me and a friend. It was installed as a unit, minus the smog crap. This was the blue car in Az.

This is the only pic I found close to that area.
104EngineDone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The original manifolds are included also.

Yeah, those won't fit either, but your existing 289/302 exhaust manifolds will bolt up cleanly to the 5.0.

Yeah Pete, I dunno exactly, '86 was kinda an oddball year for the Mustang and what the belt setup was in the Lincoln I have no idea.

Back to the OP....

When switching between standard and reverse rotation water pumps, technically the timing cover should also be changed. Although the different water pumps will bolt up the same way, the timing cover's design changed for the water inlet and outlet ports. It's a small difference, but it could impact water flow. Some people do not match timing covers to water pumps and don't report any problems, but in a perfect world the TC should match the WP.

"daveSanborn" said:
Yeah, those won't fit either, but your existing 289/302 exhaust manifolds will bolt up cleanly to the 5.0.

Yeah Pete, I dunno exactly, '86 was kinda an oddball year for the Mustang and what the belt setup was in the Lincoln I have no idea.

Back to the OP....

When switching between standard and reverse rotation water pumps, technically the timing cover should also be changed. Although the different water pumps will bolt up the same way, the timing cover's design changed for the water inlet and outlet ports. It's a small difference, but it could impact water flow. Some people do not match timing covers to water pumps and don't report any problems, but in a perfect world the TC should match the WP.

Thanks for the info. I will check into the tc when I get the motor. Is there a way to tell which tc is on there?

I guess I can add the headers to the sell pile then.

"daveSanborn" said:
'87-93 was the more common mass air flow EFI.

In California, mustangs were mass air flow starting in '88. The rest of the country got mass air in '89. What computer did he give you? Does it say A9P on the connector? If it does, than that's a mass air computer for an automatic.

The ad stated the PO replaced the water pump with a standard rotation pump, but the pic in the ad shows a serpentine setup. When I switched over to a serpentine belt, I looked at the water passages on both my original timing chain cover and the one off the fox body. the water passages looked the same, but since they were both off I put on the fox body just to be sure.

"66gt350" said:
In California, mustangs were mass air flow starting in '88. The rest of the country got mass air in '89. What computer did he give you? Does it say A9P on the connector? If it does, than that's a mass air computer for an automatic.

The ad stated the PO replaced the water pump with a standard rotation pump, but the pic in the ad shows a serpentine setup. When I switched over to a serpentine belt, I looked at the water passages on both my original timing chain cover and the one off the fox body. the water passages looked the same, but since they were both off I put on the fox body just to be sure.

It is a speed density setup not mass air. I have to check out the water pump setup when I get it.
he removed the power steering pump to set it up for manual rack and pinion, but has all the pieces and pump included.

In the search for changing the flow direction on my silver '66, I found that even Ford from the factory had no idea about the difference in timing chain covers. I have seen original cars with reverse flow pumps and the old style water pump and the next year had a different timing chain cover.
9879d1254317395-351w-timing-chain-cover-timing-covers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the inlet and outlet water passage ports on the RTCF-351RF Timing cover pictured down in the lower RH corner.... and how they are shaped/positioned differently from all of the other timing covers. This timing cover is labeled for use with a "reverse rotation water pump". While either the standard or reverse rotation water pump will physically bolt up to any of the timing covers pictured, due to the shape of the water inlet/outlet ports only the RTCF-351RF is the correct timing cover for use with a reverse rotation water pump.

If you look at the back of the water pumps, a lot of them just have round holes in the location of the different shaped water passages. All in all, any combination will work as long as the gasket seals and the water pump bolts to the cover. To me, it is more important to match you fuel pump and dipstick locations because as you see, the reverse rotation cover must have a elec. fuel pump.

Dave and Pete have the issues covered, but I'm wondering how in the he11 they expected it to work. The 5.0Mustang accessory/belt setup is designed to spin the w/p backwards...you can't successfully just bolt in a standard w/p and have it work correctly. The impeller wouldn't move any water if it was spinning the wrong direction.

Back