• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A little bodywork and paint

tarafied1

My oldest child, uh I mean my Mustang, needed a little cosmetic work. It was painted in 2007 and has held up well but it had a bubble developing in the left quarter panel above the wheel well. It started showing a couple years ago and was small but it was bothering me. Like the head cheerleader with a zit I felt like all people would notice was this bubble. I also worried it was rust causing it and would get worse if left alone. I hate the idea that the repair may look worse but I finally decided to have it fixed. I dropped it off last week. I stopped in today to check on it. They said it looked like the shop that painted it (which went out of business) had used some filler to build up the quarter for the fender flares. They said the filler was soft. It could have been from not using enough hardener or maybe the filler got wet before paint but it wasn't deep and there was no rust. I was glad because I put the new quarters on myself back in the 90's. Anyway, it's primed and ready for paint. I sure hope they can match the paint and blend the clear so it doesn't go from a small bubble to a huge mismatch IMG_6967.jpg

my 73 machI has a couple of bubbles on the bottom of the drivers side quarter--it was "patched" in 05 or 6 also---it had rust--

As I am nearing completion on mine I am troubled by a couple little imperfections (small door ding type of stuff) in my car's finish too. I'm actually thinking of fixing them myself this winter. Am I nuts to do this? I did do all the paint work originally. How hard can it be to match the paint (which has never seen the outdoors for more than a couple hours) and end up with an invisible result?

As I am nearing completion on mine I am troubled by a couple little imperfections (small door ding type of stuff) in my car's finish too. I'm actually thinking of fixing them myself this winter. Am I nuts to do this? I did do all the paint work originally. How hard can it be to match the paint (which has never seen the outdoors for more than a couple hours) and end up with an invisible result?
I can't paint for crap. If I could I would probably paints parts of the car annually! The nose really get a lot of chips.

My paint is already chipped to hell.

I took my car out for the last drive of the year yesterday. Time to tuck it in the winter.

My paint is already chipped to hell.

I took my car out for the last drive of the year yesterday. Time to tuck it in the winter.
it was in the 80's here today!
but even in winter we get some sunny days that are warm enough for a drive. So I keep mine ready!
although this winter I plan to swap the trans over to the TKO 5 speed so it might be down a while.

Yesterday was upper 60s and sunny. Took the car out top down and it was comfortable. Tomorrow is going to be mid 30s with a chance of snow. 30 degree temp swing in one day.

It may come out again, but probably not.

Yesterday was upper 60s and sunny. Took the car out top down and it was comfortable. Tomorrow is going to be mid 30s with a chance of snow. 30 degree temp swing in one day.

It may come out again, but probably not.
yowsers! we are expecting rain and 50's so also a 30 degree swing!

Same weather is working it way to the northeast. Tomorrow should be in mid 60s, will get the 69 out and top off the tank before the snow storm Sunday...

Back