• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Add Torque Boxes?

Havok1

So, I'm putting together my order list for metal and started thinking. (Dangereous I know) Should I add in torque boxes while I am replacing the floor pans? From what research I've done, the torque boxes were originally made for the vert to assist with structural flex. In 67 they added them to all cars including the coupe and fb. While my plans for now are to put the inline 6 back in it, there is the possibility for putting in a 351 later on as my Dad has one he's willing to give me. So, thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Brian,

Your car should have a drivers side torque box installed from the factory. It's the passenger side box that you don't have. Yes, I'd add it.

Add them. They aren't that much and if you are already that deep in the project it is easier to do it now.

65-66 had neither, 67 had 1. I just added a pair to my 65, I recommend doing it if you plan on putting any power to it. Add subframe connectors while youre at it.
Picture369.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
65-66 had neither, 67 had 1.

Huh, and here I thought that I knew everything. I could have sworn that all had the drivers side torque box.

Learn something new everyday.... now, I just need to stop forgetting stuff and I'll be okay.

I put the boxes on my 65. I was building my own (because I am cheap) until Darreld came over and convinced me otherwise. I haven't figure out what I want for sub frame connectors yet. I am looking at at least 500HP I just need to figure out what will work best for my application.

Alright, they're going in. Now need help with which ones to get. Todd (obsidianspider) suggested the 67-68 ones because they only have the vert ones for 65-66 and they have cutouts which I won't need and will have to fill. So looking at these at NPD

[smg id=3603]

Should I go with the HD ones listed first, or the 2 piece listed second? And if I get the HD ones will I still need the outer section listed at the bottom? Hoping some of you (and it looks like you have) have gone through this selection process. TIA

In my 67 there was a torque box on the driver's side, so I installed a passenger side torque box. It was a real PITA to get it fit into place. If I were do to it over again, I'd purchase the 2 piece torque box. it would be easier to fit/trim before final welding.

I used the 67-68 (114-2) for my 65. I couldn't make them fit for love nor money. Even after separating the sections I still needed to trim them pretty severely. I ended up taking nearly an inch off of the edge against the frame rail on the piece which goes against the floorboard, then bent an angle to weld to that part and the frame. I maybe did the same on the outside edge also, because the top of the box goes up through the floor and welds to the end panel and it was awkward to weld, so I think I bent an angle to use below the floor ( inside the box), too.
Here's a bunch of pictures
http://ynned.sqweebs.com/Main%20Mustang%20site/Torque%20Boxes/Drvr%20side/index.html
http://ynned.sqweebs.com/Main%20Mustang%20site/Torque%20Boxes/Pass%20side/index.html
They look kinda wierd, 'cause I painted everything with little bits of tape over the spots to be welded.

I added a passenger side TB to my 67 coupe when I replaced both floorpans, both toeboards, drivers outer firewall and drivers front framerail.

If you go with the one piece TB, plan on drilling out the spot welds and installing in two pieces. It is really easy to plug weld back together and lets you custom fit for stronger welds instead of pounding it in place. Worked perfectly for me. I have a bunch of pics on my site, feel free to take a look.

One thing I would have done differently was cut down the lower portion of the toeboard and then seam weld the lower edge to the front edge of the floor pan (where your feet go) Ended up creating a bunch of extra work for me because I overlapped them, although structurally it is stronger to overlap, plug weld and then seam weld.

Here is an in progress picture from before:

2j4vwcm.jpg

I added them to my 65 Fastback. It was definitely worth it. Use the 2 piece 67 version. It's unreal the amount of strength these add to this area of the car.

Doug

Seeing this posts reminds me that I still need to get out there and do this. They're giving me a hell of a time trying to get the old ones out.

Alright, so the 2 piece it is. I'd rather cut to fit than add, so I guess I'll give the 67 version a go. Thanks for all the help guys. :vic

I used the one piece with no problems. When the car is as far apart as yours, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Just curious, If your even considering the upgrade for the 351 in the future, are you thinking about suspension upgrades, ditching the 4 lugs in favor of 5 and some brake upgrades?

I highly recommend to add the torque box on the passenger side and install the TinMan's. Do it while its torn down and be done with it. :)

"lethal289" said:
Just curious, If your even considering the upgrade for the 351 in the future, are you thinking about suspension upgrades, ditching the 4 lugs in favor of 5 and some brake upgrades?

I am going to go 5 lug and disc on at least the front if not the rear as well. I haven't gotten to the issue of suspension yet in my planning.

"Tony R" said:
I put the boxes on my 65. I was building my own (because I am cheap) until Darreld came over and convinced me otherwise. I haven't figure out what I want for sub frame connectors yet. I am looking at at least 500HP I just need to figure out what will work best for my application.

Get the Tinman connectors. You will not regret it. Awesome fit and they hug the floor nicely.

I would install the boxes. especially since you are at that point. They are cheap and will save you some heartache in the future.

Also might check Maier Racing on their subframe connectors. Mike is a good guy and builds some great parts. We have done these as well and always install both boxes for strength

Back