• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Adopted a dog

Good on you Craig! I'm sure she'll make a fine addition to the family.

285534_1857944613944_1400756601_31575997_3776569_n.jpg

yeah, she's great! My wife likes the little dogs but I like how mellow she is. The kind of dog you can take for a walk or for a ride in the car. It's funny she is probably about 50 to 60 lbs and she is scared to death of Rat Rod, my cat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Craig, they were right she looks like a model with all her hair grown in. I LOL'd at Chloe below your dog on the site, Chloe don't look so smart...
Chloe.jpg

Our family dog is a pound rescue too and part of the family.
Jon

Our collie mix died last year and was a pound rescue. Best dog we ever had! So well behaved....she protected us well!

I will miss her.

Collies are so mellow, I will likely get another one. Right now we have a shepherd corky mix. she is scared of everything loud....More scared of you than you are of her. We protect her.

Congrats Craig!

Mel

Good for you. I've given up on dog adoption. We went a couple years ago to adopt a dog that had been rescued. It was at one of these no kill shelters. I was a little taken back when we had to start filling out a 3 page application. Come to find out we were UNFIT to adopt one of their dogs. Uhhh, why? Because it was going to be staying outside. Uhhh, yeah. It's a large dog and we have a few acres. Ummm, not happening because their dogs were to be adopted as family members and given the comforts of home. WTH ever. We went to the pound, adopted a cool little GS mix, turned out to be more destructive than Mark on his motors so the dog went back to the pound. I love dogs but seem to be worse at adopting them than I am fixing carbs.

We had to fill out a two page application, but they were more interested in seeing us interact with the dog. We spent an hour or more just walking her and stuff. This place seemed pretty laid back and more interested in finding the dogs a home.
In fact we had a little trouble getting her to settle down in the house at first. She was more content to be outside so we let be outside even in the heat. I called them asked about this and they said all their kennels are outside so she was used to being outside.

Gratz! She's adorable!

I was a little taken back when we had to start filling out a 3 page application

Yeah some rescue groups get a little too anal about the adoption process. Sometimes its harder to adopt a pet than it is a baby. :shrug

We just had to sign for the free vet check, flee and tick dip and grooming.

They had so many dogs they couldn't afford to feed them all, so we were doing them a favor.

I don't mind going to the local pound to get a dog, they are regulated and the red tape is actually less. The private shelters mostly suck since they are mostly tree hugging save the whalers.

Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to do good, but we are talking about a dog here, not a human baby!

Mel

I'm not promoting these guys over anything else as I do agree with you Mel. I was surprised that they were pretty level headed and seemed to be just animal lovers and not too radical. In fact we have adopted from the human society or local pet shelters before too. All of our cats are rescued. We have a Yorkie that we bought from a breeder but all the dogs we have had in the past were rescued. I find the mutts to be the best dogs. The downside has been that all the dogs we have rescued tend to be older dogs or had health problem and don't live a long time. This one seems to be pretty healthy and maybe not as old as they think. They guessed 7 years old. I don't think she is that old.

Congrats on the new member to the family. I had a sheltie/miniature collie when I was a kid. They are great dogs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

"guruatbol" said:
We just had to sign for the free vet check, flee and tick dip and grooming.

They had so many dogs they couldn't afford to feed them all, so we were doing them a favor.

I don't mind going to the local pound to get a dog, they are regulated and the red tape is actually less. The private shelters mostly suck since they are mostly tree hugging save the whalers.

Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to do good, but we are talking about a dog here, not a human baby!

Mel

Usually animal shelters (local animal control or SPCA) have less tape to go through. But then there are Rescue Groups (mixed breeds, purebred groups, etc) who want you to fill out 5 pages of an application which some questions have nothing to do with owning a pet. Then heaven forbid you plan on leaving the dog outside for more than 30 min at a time. Even on a nice spring day. Some dogs like to be dogs and spend all day just relaxing in the cool breeze and sunbathing in the yard.

Then if you pass all the red tape, you get to pay $300-500 to adopt the dog.

I've volunteered with such groups.

I like purebred poodles (husband has bad allergies) and you don't run across them very often in shelters. Usually they end up with a purebred rescue group that charges $500 + for an adult poodle. No thanks.

"blue65coupe" said:
" turned out to be more destructive than Mark on his motors"

that comparison makes Cujo look like that little "purse puppy" that Paris Hilton carries around.... :roll

Back