• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AFR valve spring problem & question

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
So I just found out yesterday that my brand new AFR heads come from the factory with valve springs for use with a solid lifter roller cam. I was planning to use a hydraulic lifter roller cam in my new 408W motor. The cost to replace everything (springs, retainers, keepers and maybe the seals) for hydraulic roller cam use: $300-400 !! It had never occurred to me that I need to pay attention to the type of springs while selecting the heads. My choices as I see them are: keep the heads the way they are and go with a solid lifter roller cam or swap out the springs and go with the hydraulic roller cam as planned. Is a solid cam a poor idea for a street motor? I've always heard that and built race motors that way. One Mustang buddy of mine is running a solid cam in his 408W and he says he doesn't hardly mess with adjusting the valves. Im open to new ideas but I don't want a maintenance intense valve train like days of old.

I ran my solid lifter std cam 289 for a long time at the track and on the street. Hardly ever had to adjust them. A solid lifter motor sounds mean! I miss that with my current hydraulic lifter 302 hybrid.

Aside from solid or hydraulic I would be more concerned about the springs matching the needs of the specific profile of the cam used. Spring rates and such should be tailored to the exact cam you run. I would never use springs that come on a head "as standard" from the head manufacturer. No way does one spring fit all.

Back