• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AFR165 roller? cam? timing? configuration?

atevres

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your help.
I'm compiling a list of parts for my engine (302 4V).
I decided not to re-use my original stock heads, and install the AFR165.
I would like to mount a cam (range 1500-6000 rpm) with hydraulic lifter and roller, you could show me some kit or separate articles?
Does anyone have experience with this configuration AFR165 heads?
Thanks

Do you have a roller block or you're looking to install a roller conversion in an early (nonroller) 302?

I've got the AFR 165's, roller rockers/hyd lifters with a Compcams XE262 (1300-5600RPM) in my build but not started yet.
Jon

Jonk Hello, I have a '68 302 nonroller ...
For camshaft I thought about the XE256h of Compcam, with hydraulic lifter.
(Compcam XE262 is not to block Chevrolet? Nothing chevrolet on my engine! :D )

For crankshaft and connecting rods, recovery my original, and I do bilancatura with new pistons and piston (I would not retificare .. hope that after open does not serve revise cylinder liners ... otherwise I mount a crate enginefactory .. probably spend less $ $ $ ).

Thanks

"atevres" said:
Jonk Hello, I have a '68 302 nonroller ...
For camshaft I thought about the XE256h of Compcam, with hydraulic lifter.
(Compcam XE262 is not to block Chevrolet? Nothing chevrolet on my engine! :D )

They make an XE262 for the 289/302 also, just a different CC part number. For the RPM range you want the one DEL65 above is using would be in your range XE 31-242-3, which is also know as the XE268.

The XE256 is only 1,000 - 5,200 RPM, much lower than you were stating.
Jon

"DEL65" said:
I'm running AFR 165's #1399. Details: original block 289 .030 over, 302 crank, roller rockers, CompCams XE 31-242-3, hydraulic lifters, 9.75 compression. I plan to add an MSD box w/distributor and am currently using a Unilite. I'm very happy with the results.

Cam Specs:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=800&sb=2

Video taken a few days after initial start up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGSP8mR66k

Nice!
What kind of roller rocker you have installed? :hmm
Very beautiful Cobra rocker covers, but I read that they can not be fitted with the roller .. ?? :hmm
How cam is a little aggressive .. if you even with the roller effect "choppy idle" .. I think I'll stay on the XE256.

I have read that the heads have the valve seat five angle job, it's great! But they are assembled and come without valves? Valves that you have mounted? Did you take normal valves and angle did make five angle job?
Did you have trouble finding the right pushrod?
How I want to install a Pertronix ignition IV, with all the comprehensive distributer, inspires me more reliability and old style look.
You did the break-in?

Thank you :thum

I've never seen or used the pieces you linked to but it looks like they only have a use on 3 yrs. of the 302 motors and that's with stock heads. You are going to use AFR so you can use aftermarket roller rockers with your screw in studs and guide plates.

From the ad:
Crane Roller Rocker Conversion Kit for the following 1970-2000 Ford V8s:
1977-2000 255 & 3021977-1997 351W
1970-1982 351C/351M/400
1973-1997 370/429/460

Jon

The AFR 165 heads can be purchased with either stud mounts for the rocker arms or like the later model style heads that use a pedestal mounted rocker. In either case you can get roller rocker arms for either configuration. I have the AFR165 with pedestal mount rocker arms. The rocker arms I used are Crane 1.7 ratio. The Crane rockers are also the exact same rocker arms sold by Ford Motorsport / Ford Racing, but sold at a lower cost. With the pedestal mount rockers you adjust them with shims if needed. The pedestal mount rockers also have brackets that keep them aligned so that you don't need to use guide plates.

I don't have any issues with the pedestal mount heads (1472), but most folk use the rocker stud mount version (1399, 1402).

Regarding the camshaft... don't be afraid to step up to something a little more agressive. If you don't go too crazy you will still have good low end power and decent idle.

Also, for your push rod length question, you should purchase a pushrod length checking tool to verify what length pushrods you will need.

"stangg" said:
The AFR 165 heads can be purchased with either stud mounts for the rocker arms or like the later model style heads that use a pedestal mounted rocker. In either case you can get roller rocker arms for either configuration. I have the AFR165 with pedestal mount rocker arms.
I'm sorry I do not understand this difference .. got a photo / link to understand the difference? :dun

The rocker arms I used are Crane 1.7 ratio. Great thank you, even I was willing for these. :thum

The Crane rockers are also the exact same rocker arms sold by Ford Motorsport / Ford Racing, but sold at a lower cost. With the pedestal mount rockers you adjust them with shims if needed. The pedestal mount rockers also have brackets that keep them aligned so that you don't need to use guide plates.
I don't have any issues with the pedestal mount heads (1472), but most folk use the rocker stud mount version (1399, 1402).

I'm sorry but my ignorance prevents me from understanding this too .. if you have any photos or links where I can understand and study .. You're very kind. I'm very sorry. :dun

Regarding the camshaft... don't be afraid to step up to something a little more agressive. If you don't go too crazy you will still have good low end power and decent idle.
Opt for something more aggressive? I'm afraid of distorting the typical sound Ford to find a "minimum rpm typical Mopar," I can not feel inside the Mustang hood .. :mark

Also, for your push rod length question, you should purchase a pushrod length checking tool to verify what length pushrods you will need.

I looked at the website and the site Mustangsunlimited AFR, and the heads are cheaper on MU .. ??
Such as valves for this head do you recommend?
For exact measurement pushrod appearance during assembly.
Thank you very much for your help, I'm filling in the parts list, then if someone offers to check if all my links (without liability), thanks again! :thum

"66benchcoupe" said:
Comp 284HR.

This cam looks really great!
Great range 2000-5500rpm and 3500rpm torque .. really interesting!

Talk "Mild rough idle" can be there given the roller that I want to install, should reduce the effect.

Thank you!

These are stud mounted roller rockers on AFR heads (1402).
AFR1402.jpg

These are "bolt-down" rockers on a pedestal mounted head (1472). Notice the raised pedestal where the roller rockers will bolt down to.
AFR1472.jpg

This is what the pedestal mount rocker looks like on the bottom side.
pro-66878_w.jpg

And this is the adjustable pushrod length checking tool you want to use to verify the rocker arm geometry is working properly.
28799721_R.jpg

Let us know if you need more pictures...

Hi, here's more info:

What kind of roller rocker you have installed?
http://www.prw-usa.com/2879

Very beautiful Cobra rocker covers, but I read that they can not be fitted with the roller .. ??
They are the tall ones sold by Branda. I did have an issue with the rockers clearing the oil baffle. I added a 2nd gasket for added clearance and no issues.
http://www.cobranda.com/caltavacopo.html

How cam is a little aggressive .. if you even with the roller effect "choppy idle" .. I think I'll stay on the XE256.

If you're going to invest $ in AFR heads, you will get better value with a more aggressive street cam. To make power, those 289's need to rev up.

I have read that the heads have the valve seat five angle job, it's great! But they are assembled and come without valves? Valves that you have mounted? Did you take normal valves and angle did make five angle job?
My AFR heads came with valves and studs. They did not need any extra parts or work at all.

Did you have trouble finding the right pushrod?
I don't think so, my engine builder located them.

How I want to install a Pertronix ignition IV, with all the comprehensive distributer, inspires me more reliability and old style look.

I would also research MSD. I plan to upgrade with that.

You did the break-in?
My engine builder came to my house and we did it together.

Heartfelt thanks to all of you guys, you're great!

Now for me everything starts to be much clearer, and I start to well make up my list.
I will inform you soon also decide what for the cam shaft, where I still have to clarify my ideas and needs.
Should buy directly from AFR heads or do you know any other seller (reliable and serious) where you can save a little $ $ $ $?

Thanks again sincerely!
:thum

I bought my AFR's at a car show in Reno NV. Summit had a booth and was offering 10% off. AFR's usually don't go on sale.

Back