• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

After a really long time.. the bay is painted!!!

"LastDeadLast" said:
Thanks all!

Hey Mustang67408, I was watching a short video of your stang.. that thing is a beast!!!

I've finally got most of the suspension, steering and brakes done. All the brake plumbing was completed this morn. I need to get the steering column installed and bolt up then I start on the engine.

It's always nice when your progress can be seen.

-Shannon

Any pictures?

"Shaun" said:
Any pictures?

Well... not yet. I sorta hit a snag. I painted the steering column the factory color (65 white)... only to find out that the dash and the doors were the wrong color. Nice.

Not knowing what color the dash and doors are painted, I decided to stop and paint the dash and doors the correct color so that I can install the steering column once and for all.

Speaking of the steering column, I just posted what I've been doing to improve the Borgeson power steering setup.

Here is my post from my build thread:

"LastDeadLast" said:
Steering column modifications.

I have the Borgeson power steering unit. So part of the install is to cut a few inches off of the end of the column... This leaves the bottom of the column open to have hot air, smoke, whatever blown into the steering column. I also didn't like the way that Borgeson has the bottom of the steering column attached to the firewall.

One of the members bought a steering column bearing from American Mustang Parts in CA and welded onto the bottom of the steering column to effectively seal it. I took this one step further and made a plate out of 16GA steel to bolt to the firewall. Making a very sold feeling that just wasn't there with the Borgeson setup.

Here are some pics:

The bearing kit from American Mustang Parts:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_002.jpg

All the parts ready to assemble:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_010.jpg

The bearing retainer welded onto the end of the column:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_012.jpg

Another angle:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_013.jpg

The other bearing retainer on the end.. thus keeping the bearing in place:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_015.jpg

Final assembley with the firewall plate bolted on:
normal_2011-02-15_-_65_Mustang_Steering_Column_016.jpg

Once I get the dash painted I can bolt the sucker in!!!

-Shannon

Back