• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

air compressor quandry

Fst Blk

Thinking about picking up a buddies old air compressor. The pump is busted and needs a new one. It's a 60 gallon Craftsman Professional with a 6hp motor. What pump would you recommend? Or am I better off getting a new unit all together. I can pick up the tank and motor for 80 bucks.

Bill

Since you'd have to replace the pump anyhow, I'd strongly suggest getting a two-stage unit. They're more efficient and don't need to run as long for the same volume as a single stage. That translates to longer component life and potentially lower power bills.

+1 on the two stage. also make sure that you get a cast iron pump. don't waste the money on aluminum pumps with a sleeve. they won't last. check grainger for replacement pumps.

I'd go for a two stage if possible also. However, if it wasn't a two stage before, make sure the tank is rated for the pressure - and that it is in good shape. Should be a tag or stamp on it. I've seen what happens when an air tank lets go. Isn't pretty.

Back