• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Alternatives to cubic inches

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
don't add displacement ... add LIGHTNESS

don't add displacement ... install lower gears

don't add displacement ... improve the exhaust system

don't add displacement ... install lighter wheel/tire assemblies, especially in the rear

don't add displacement ... install a lighter drive shaft

don't add displacement ... get a girlfriend who doesn't weigh so damn much!!!!

66gt350

"cmayna" said:

Or just...leave the girlfriend at home. That way your wife don't see you two together!!!

DougG69

"cmayna" said:
add LIGHTNESS
install lower gears
improve the exhaust system
install lighter wheel/tire assemblies, especially in the rear
install a lighter drive shaft
get a girlfriend who doesn't weigh so damn much!!!!

All fine ideas... but I'm still eyeballing stroker kits :) :pbj

Jonk67

don't add displacement ... add LIGHTNESS

If you can't lighten, move it to the rear over the axle > battery, etc. whatever can be displaced rearward above the axle.

Tweak the car for the race venue > remove front sway bar for 1/8mi., 1/4mi. wt. transfer at launch,
> move ballast around to get all 4 corners wt. as even as possible for autoX, opentrack.
Am I on the right track here?
Jon

"ZFORCE" said:
How about Don't add displacement, pack it in with a supercharger!
and while your at it toss in a shot of NOS.
I did all 3

1: stoke it baby
2: blow it baby
3: shoot it baby
this all equals a HAPPY ENDING!!!

"tarafied1" said:
as long as she stays together! really I bet that's a wild ride!
Not worried about it staying together, It's a street car not a drag car . I triple checked every spec a few times and had her balanced twice. I know shit breaks, but it is what it is.......drive it like ya stole it! If it breaks....we fix. I just have to remember NOT to down shift.
The last engine was a 377 with a 200 shot, it lasted 12 years before it started to smoke, nothing broke, just needs rings and bearings....that's now for another project someday.
This engine = Can you say "E" TICKET Ride!
I just stab the throttle to change lanes. These MT's I have are old and worn, but I just had to put shoes on my truck, so her tires will come later this year.

tarafied1

I would love to go for a ride, I need to get my E ticket!

what would you estimate it costs to build a blown engine? any details on the build? like what crank? anything special on the head gaskets, what CR? stuff like that. I'm build a drag race 67 but won't have a big budget. I was contemplating a turbo...

There is probably $10K + in this engine including the chroming/polishing/powdercoating/ Extreme cylinder head & intake manifold work.

Crank is an Eagle Stroker (.5" stroke)
Aluminum Rods are Groden (6.2")
Headgaskets are Cometic MLS
Pistons SRP
Compression is 9.0:1
Motorsports Block (4 bolt main)
Clay Smith Solid Roller Cam (.7?? lift) :roll
Titanium Exh valves, keepers and retainers
Custom 2" Headers
2- 830 Annual Discharge Holleys- Flowed by Quick Fuel Technolgies
Aluminum flywheel
SPEC 5 puck Clutch

I would love to build a Turbo enghine, but out here in Las Vegas I am afraid of the heat factor during the summer.

tarafied1

thanks for the info, I have never built a blown motor. I am thinking the turbo will be a bit more forgiving plus mine will be purpose built so it won't have to cruise the strip. When the time comes I will be asking you a lot of questions!

"tarafied1" said:
thanks for the info, I have never built a blown motor. I am thinking the turbo will be a bit more forgiving plus mine will be purpose built so it won't have to cruise the strip. When the time comes I will be asking you a lot of questions!
Ask away, I'd be happy to share info and horrer stories

If I were to build a strictly DARG CAR, I would also go with a turbo or 2. They are definatley hard to beat. Look at all those PSCA guys, now thats fast!
That mustang from the post above looks awesome and like a great project/ride...definatley worth looking into. I've built quite a few turbo Supras ( am I allowed to say that?) and then just flat haul a$$ too. I think the secret to reliable turbos is keeping the oil and the intakecharge cool.

Starfury

"cmayna" said:
Or like Rob said, just leave her at home, heh. The last time my gf was in the car, she cried. Something dying and who's going to take care of the kid...

tarafied1

"Jonk67" said:
Craig, there's a guy here in Nashville I've met a few times running a turbo on a 351W in a '67, he's on the 'other' site as BrianJ5600. Here's his cardomain, it may get you started, he just upped his turbo size last summer (pg.5):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435094/1967-ford-mustang

I could see if he wants to meet up next time you're by my place?
Jon
yeah, that would be great!
"mustang67408" said:
If I were to build a strictly DARG CAR, I would also go with a turbo or 2. They are definatley hard to beat. Look at all those PSCA guys, now thats fast!
That mustang from the post above looks awesome and like a great project/ride...definatley worth looking into. I've built quite a few turbo Supras ( am I allowed to say that?) and then just flat haul a$$ too. I think the secret to reliable turbos is keeping the oil and the intakecharge cool.
I go to the drag races a lot and I do see a lot of Turbo cars. You can admit to working on Toyota's here too, your not alone.

tarafied1

wow, now that needs to be in the member build threads too. We got rat rods and Fairlanes, why not a Tundra 2wd to 4wd convertion?!?