• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Aluminum radiator fan shrouds

buening

Well I finally made it over to this site to some familiar faces. With the thru-core electric fan straps making a hole in my new aluminum radiator core, I've decided to do something different. The radiator is a Northern 19.5x28 and the fan is the over-rated Zirgo 16" electric. I started out just looking for some decent brackets, which I found these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-329726/

Kinda pricey, so I figured it may be best to go with the aluminum fan shrouds. Are there any concerns with restriction of flow with a 16" fan and that large of a core using a shroud? Fan area is roughly 200 sq inches and the core area is roughly 420 sq inches. I've found two different shrouds, one from summit and the other from Jegs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-381101/

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52065/10002/-1

The Summit is 1.25" thick and the Jegs is only 1/2" thick. I don't have crap for clearance with the fan bolt flush to the core, so I have a feeling the Summit one won't work without modifications. I'm not so sure the Jegs will even work, but lets assume it does. With that large of a reduction in open area and that thin of a shroud, will I run into problems? I almost feel as if I'm blocking off over half of the radiator. Let me know your thoughts

So you're not having problems with cooling; you more just have an issue with the through core mounting method - correct?

My shroud was about two inches too short to cover the face of my radiator, so I just bought a 4' piece of 1" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock and made two horizontal brackets that spanned from side to side of my radiator. I bolted the brackets to the frame of the radiator and drilled and counter sunk some smaller holes on the radiator face side of the brackts to attach the shoud too.

26_24_08_09_8_47_42_0.JPG

26_24_08_09_8_47_42_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I definitely don't have any problems with cooling! I went as big as possible with this radiator and it keeps the beast's temps in check. The core is close to the same width as the 24" radiators, it just has more height to the core since it has the tanks on the ends.

The mounting straps were temporary until I got my shroud/bracket situation figured out, but they rubbed a hole in the tube so now I have to make a decision. I'm just a little worried about restricting airflow at high speeds with having a shroud on there, especially if I have to go with the 1/2" depth shroud.

And I'm saying - why do you need the shroud at all. It's cooling fine. Don't break what's already fixed. Just make some stationary mounting brackets like I did to mount your fan. Just pretend mine is a shroudless fan in the picture.

I had an eBay vendor build a custom shroud for my dual fan setup. If I remember correctly, it was about $150. I'm not sure if the louvers are helping or hurting the cooling ability, but I haven't had any over heading problems with my 351w.

2379107_35_full.jpg

"buening" said:

Yep, those are the guys I used. I wish I would have found that vendor *before* I dropped all the cash on my Griffin radiator. I would have just purchased their entire setup.

I just contacted them directly on the phone; gave them the measurements of my radiator and fans (they carry the same fans though); and they cut something out with their flow-jet in less than a week. It was a very smooth transaction, even though it didn't go though eBay.

Down a similar track.....

I've had a slight problem with my 66 getting hot when idling, sitting in traffic or at a light since I finished the restoration back in 04. Since I don't spend too much time on the street and mostly on the track, I never paid much attention to it. This past year I had decided to finally make a shroud to see if that would cure the problem. I made the mockup months ago, but never got around to actually making it. This thread directed me to Universal Parts Inc. where I came across an aluminum shroud made to fit my Northern race pro radiator. I figured I'd give it a shot and see if it would keep the water temp more consistent.

I ordered it last Wed and it arrived Sat. Spent the afternoon cutting and fitting the shroud. Today I finally fired it up and ran it for quite awhile. In the past it would creep up to about 210 when idling, this time it stayed right around 180! It definitely pulls more air thru the rad with the shroud on and has fixed my long running problem. The only thing left to do is get some shorter bolts to fasten the top of the shroud, seems like my supply has dwindled to nothing.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results!

Aluminumshroud.jpg

I've had a slight problem with my 66 getting hot when idling, sitting in traffic or at a light since I finished the restoration back in 04.

Wouldnt a vent or AC for the trailer actually do more to help keep the '66 cool than the shroud?

Not this summer, been too cool with the globular warming crap.

Back