• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Am I a grumpy old fart...

GrabberOrange69

Troglodyte
...or just a masochist?

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from my DO (AF Director of Operations = "XO" for you department of the Navy Types) at 0520 in the morning on a Sunday. While not completely out of the ordinary, it was non-the-less unexpected. Seems our duty officer had phoned the DO at 0430 to pass on some performance information about a young "E" that was not within the standards of conduct for a servant of the United States. I quickly called my 1st Sgt and Sq Superintendent where we decided we needed to report to the duty location immediately and begin an "investigation", also to maintain a element of surprise.

Upon arrival, I find my DO there; moments later my 1st Sgt and Sq Sup arrive. After our huddle, we decide to question the lad, and call him to my office on a "fact finding mission". Upon arrival, I read the young "E" his rights, and my Sq Sup confronts him with the derogatory info whereby we receive a retort from him of "that could be anybody, you can't prove it was me..." His answer was not prefaced by a "Sir, Sgt, or Mr."

I bolted out of my chair, and was immediately 3/16 of an inch from his face at full volume. It was pure reaction, instinctive after years of service. My entire size 12.5 boot was up his ass. I'm not entirely sure what I said, other than I know there was an obscenity (I know this because during the hearing it was brought up and I testified that "yes, I had spoken that word"; somewhat proudly).

I am a Mustang, and was surprised that I so easily reacted just as in my earlier days of being a supervisor.

I found the entire "questioning" somewhat refreshing; maybe even "rewarding" on a certain level. My team stayed on duty for the next 15 hours until we got it fully handed off to "CID". Then we cracked a bottle of scotch and smoked a few cigars on the back patio off our heritage room before turning in for the night.

Was it wrong for me to enjoy nailing the bastard? Am I grumpy; or just a masochist?

Shining my boots in the CONUS...

AtlantaSteve

"GrabberOrange69" said:
Was it wrong for me to enjoy nailing the bastard? Am I grumpy; or just a masochist?

Well, not to be a nit-picker, but a masochist enjoys pain inflicted upon themselves, and it sounds like in this case you were being a sadist. Sir!

Ever notice when someone says "not to be a nit-picker" that means that they are about to be exactly that?

You don't mention what he did (which is obviously the prudent thing to do) but it sounds like his attitude was super-snotty...everyone enjoys seeing a snot get what they got coming.

apollard

Nope. IMO not sadist either - you did what was right. Even if it wasn't him (doubtful, because IME wrongly accused folks don't say "That could be anybody", but pretty clearly say "That wasn't me!"), he needs a little attitude adjustment.

daveSanborn

Was it wrong for me to enjoy nailing the bastard?

Yes. Young enlisted personnel are going to make mistakes. These mistakes can usually be directly attributed to a failure in leadership. As a senior enlisted/officer it is within your responsibility to recognize and counsel those personnel within your charge who demonstrate unacceptable behavior. Not to enjoy "nailing the bastard" when they fail. Their failure is your failure. It's not something that should be celebrated by popping open a bottle and smoking cigars.

Personally, I never enjoyed it when one of my Marines got himself into trouble. I'd pull every string I could to make everything "go away" and let me handle it at my level.

Example. After a "zero dark-thirty" PT session one of my Marines left the area in his new pickup truck "rather quickly". When I left I found down the road that our dickhead base security had pulled the youngster over. I pulled up behind the cruiser and convinced security that "I would handle it". His mistake was "my problem" and I handled it.

Am I grumpy; or just a masochist?

You may be grumpy.

O

opentrackerSteve

I'd defer on branding you without additional info.

how many times have you tried to 'teach' or 'work' with this individual? If it's many then he had it coming.

If this was the first mix up for him, then Dave's probably suggested the better approach.

GrabberOrange69

Troglodyte
Well, it's done. The person in question was convicted by Courts Martial today, 6 months in the slammer.

I'm so glad it's just done, as it's been a major distraction for so long!

Over and out here.

apollard

"GrabberOrange69" said:
Well, it's done. The person in question was convicted by Courts Martial today, 6 months in the slammer.

That would indicate to me this wasn't just a youthful indescrection or speeding ticket.