• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Am I invisible?

Kats66Pny

So my husband came with me Saturday to the auto parts store so I could check out some master cylinders. There's a line, so I'm standing in it.. and the guy at the desk says, "Be right with you Sir" looking at my husband who had his back slightly turned away while looking at something else. Just because I'm at the auto parts store with my husband, they just think I'm tagging along? :wtf

Oh and then when we get to the front desk, he looks at my husband and asks what he needs. I said I called early and spoke with so&so and he ordered some parts and was there to look at some MC's. He looks it up, asks what year again looking at my husband. I answered. He asked disc or drum. Again looking at my husband. I answered again. Seriously... :rant

That annoyed me. I'm not sure which is more annoying. Talking to my husband when I'm there for the part or going there alone and knowing exactly what I need and having the desk person question whether or not the part I said was really the one I need. Like I'm :censored'ing stupid. Ok so sure I may not know tons about cars but I know enough that if I say I need a specific part, I need that part. Not some other crap. I know damn well what my mustang has, doesn't have. I know its a 302. Don't tell me its a 289 when I know damn well it's not. Oh and omg don't dare call me a liar either. I don't give a rats a$$ if your brothers cousins best friend had a 66 and you work in an auto part store. That doesn't mean you know jack about MY 66 mustang.

:soapboxrant

Ok I feel better.

Kats66Pny

I could walk in there butt nekkid and they'd still treat me like a girl who doesn't know what she needs. :shrug

70 StangMan

Donator
"Kats66Pny" said:
I could walk in there butt nekkid and they'd still treat me like a girl who doesn't know what she needs. :shrug
Yea...but at least they would look at you and not your husband.

RustyRed

One of the local parts stores around here used to have some old gear heads who knew what they were talking about when it comes to cars.

Most of those guys have disappeared and now they have what is clearly hourly wage type help that know jack about cars, they could just as easily be flipping burgers. Used to be the only parts store I would go to, now I drive past it to go to a different store.

Some of the guys at the store don't know very basic car parts and are easily confused to say the least.

RustyRed

"Kats66Pny" said:

Must resist urge to go shop for auto parts in Bryan / CS

What store was that again? :roll

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
"Kats66Pny" said:
Trust me, you walk in an auto parts store like that I'm sure there is a guy or two around who thinks they know exactly what you need.

Laurie S.

Staff member
Oh, I've been there so many times it's ridiculous! I'm not nice anymore about it since my tolerance for that treatment has been all used up. The most recent time was on a seven-day cruise I took earlier this month. While in Belize, I bought a seven-inch dive knife and knew that I would have to turn it in to security when I got on the ship. My male dive buddy was with me. I told security as I checked in that I had a knife to turn over. They had me run the bag through the scanner and then pull the knife out while they got the head honcho security guy to come over. Here I am standing with this big a$$ knife and scabbard in my hand and the security guy turns his back on me and talks to my buddy! He kept asking questions and my buddy kept pointing to me. I kept answering the questions and, each time, the security guy would turn back to my buddy. Finally, I had it and said "IT'S MY KNIFE, DO YOU WANT IT OR NOT!" He paid attention then.

It also cleared a path for us because the other passengers stepped back as we proceeded to the elevators.

Starfury

As a parts guy, that's a shame. Yes, it's true that many, if not most women have zero interest in cars outside of getting from point a to point b in them. But that's not reason to flat ignore a woman at the parts counter, especially if she's the one giving you the info on the vehicle.

When a couple walks up to the counter, I address them as a couple. Whichever of them takes the lead in the conversation is the one I start asking questions of. It could just as easily be the woman as the man. I've run into plenty of women, and even high school girls that know more about cars than 99% of the people that walk through the door.

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I hear you, Kat. That's why I prefer to use female auto technicians if I have a choice...time to give them a break over their piggy colleagues.

Oh, by the way, your engine is a 289! It has to be!

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Well deserved venting Kat! For a short time after getting out of the military I worked as a sales manager at a chain auto parts store. I can tell you that gender indeed does not guarantee mechanical knowledge! Personally I think I would not have had the patience and just put the counter person in their place!

As far as you "not knowing" what you have in your car, that's NOT a gender thing! It seems to be standard attitude in many parts store these days. I can't tell you how many times I've been into a store (and it doesn't matter WHICH chain either), with a specific request for a non-standard application, only to be treated like I don't know what the hell it is I want! When I've been buying stuff lately for my coupe project I specify it's for a '66. When I also then ask for 5.0 motor parts, they quickly tell me that wasn't the motor in a '66. NO $h!t Sherlock! Of course, if they can't find it in the computer, it doesn't exist either...idiots!

I went in to buy a battery for my four wheeler from the same company I used to work for (different location). I had the Yuasa part number for the original battery. The kid behind the counter couldn't find a cross reference in the computer, and couldn't find a listing for my four wheeler. When I asked him to check the catalog he told me they didn't have them! I told him "you know those big black binders under the counter down at the end? THOSE are catalogs!" He looked at me like WTF?! He was even more shocked when that's exactly what was in them! If it makes you feel any better, when I was looking for a cup plug (aka freeze plug), small enough to plug the old dip stick tube hole on my '92 5.0 block I went to a local NAPA. I knew the exact dimensions I wanted, but also knew it would take some knowledge about how to look it up. The only counter person available was the only female employee in the store. When she asked if she could help me, I explained what I wanted. Instead of even trying the computer she went straight to a catalog. She looked it up, found what I needed and then checked the back for me. They didn't have them on hand, but she ordered them (I bought a spare), and had them the next day. They were EXACTLY what I needed and I was truly impressed! NOT because it was woman that did it, but it was a competent employee....period!!

BTW, I would say you probably know more about cars in GENERAL then the idiot you dealt with. Bask in that thought!!! :thu

RustyRed

"Ponyman66" said:
When I also then ask for 5.0 motor parts, they quickly tell me that wasn't the motor in a '66. NO $h!t Sherlock! Of course, if they can't find it in the computer, it doesn't exist either...idiots!

I went into the store a couple of weeks ago (the store I usually drive past now) and I was looking for a gear related to the TA's power window. The moron at the counter told me they only had them in the system because if you had bought one in the past they would deal with warranty rebuilds or some crap. Obviously the FNG so I basically said, thanks and left. I probably could have told him he was a moron and pressed the issue but why bother. I drove to the other store in five minutes and was headed home with the part promised for delivery from the warehouse the next day in maybe 10 minutes.

Hence, why I now drive past the first store headed for the second one any time I need parts these days.

Of course I also never go into Auto Zone at all any more. I was in there one day, walked up to the counter with some basic stuff like wiper wash, etc. The teenage girl working the counter was too busy texting her friends to help me so I left the stuff on the counter and walked out.

Laurie S.

Staff member
I always remember the day I went in to Checkers to get some small part for Trouble's front disc brakes. The kid behind the counter asked me what year car, engine, and transmission. Sigh......

Okay, it's a 1968 Mustang with a 289 and C-4, except now it has 1967 brakes, a 390, and a C-6. Does that help you?

He looked like a deer in the headlights.

apollard

"Ponyman66" said:
As far as you "not knowing" what you have in your car, that's NOT a gender thing! It seems to be standard attitude in many parts store these days. I can't tell you how many times I've been into a store (and it doesn't matter WHICH chain either), with a specific request for a non-standard application, only to be treated like I don't know what the hell it is I want! When I've been buying stuff lately for my coupe project I specify it's for a '66. When I also then ask for 5.0 motor parts, they quickly tell me that wasn't the motor in a '66. NO $h!t Sherlock! Of course, if they can't find it in the computer, it doesn't exist either...idiots!

That is why I now keep a list of the vehicles I use to ask for parts - the computer doesn't list it by year/make/model, it doesn't exist to counter people these days. I have a list for engine, brakes, etc. They must think I have the following vehicles:
'68 Mustang
'97 Explorer, 5.0 (engine)
'93 Tarus (alt)
'98 Contour (e-fan)

'88 Chebbie 3/4 ton truck (certain boat engine parts)
'95 Chebbie 3/4 ton truck (other boat engine parts)

'06 Dodge Ram (differential)
'04 Dodge Ram (the actual truck)

65fast

This is why I never go into the auto parts store without looking up the part numbers online. Saves time from dealing with people at the stores and can get my stuff and get out quickly.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
Is it just me & my computer... but each of Kat's posts are blank... almost like they are invisible...

:sm_NTA