• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

American Pickers on History Channel

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Anybody watch this program? Two guys go around the country finding collectible antiques from hoarders. Unfortunately, they don't seem that interested in keeping stuff, only to make money by flipping the items. I also find these two guys difficult to like...I don't know why, but they appear too greedy to me.

At any rate, most people don't know about flippers. At first blush, these two guys appear to take advantage of the folks who they buy from by buying stuff at well below market value. I dunno, but being in the Mustang hobby for so long, I'd rather see buyers buy things for their own use or enjoyment, rather than making money.

I have been watching it for some time now. I do agree they are just flippers, but I watch it for see the classic stuff they go thru.

I would rather see them buy and sell as opposed to the items just sitting and rotting in those old barns and such. At least there is a chance of restoration taking place. The money they offer goes both ways a lot of times. Also, the value they put on items in the calculation stage for a profit is not a selling price most of the time.

The sellers do seem like they know nothing about value a lot of times and when they hit upon a knowledgeable person, they complain and skip over them. But, in the position of a flipper, if they cannot make money, why buy.

I think a good follow up show would be seeing the reaction of the sellers after they see the shows airing of their items.

I kind of like the show and can understand both side of issue as in my own little way I'm both a Picker and a Hoarder.
I almost always don't make out well and for me it's sort of a hobby. That said if I had to depend on it to put beans on the table I would look at it totally different.

I buy and sell and barter lots of things from Sporting event tickets to fine wines. ( Ripple) at the end of the day best I ever do is maybe break even but it's the chase that sometimes is the value. Kind of like a super Barn find I guess, hasn't happened yet buy who knows I keep looking.

I thought this weeks episode was better than some of the rest they found some of there own kind (Pickers) and alot less BS. Also just because they say it's worth something of a profit does not mean it winds up that way. Also how long do they sit on an item there's alot left unsaid.

After all it's just TV you know the folks that bring you Reality TV so it could be worse I guess

That show had a big affect on the last swap I went too... I saw more old toys, oil cans and signs than ever!!

They were looking for top dollar too....

i watch it also & cant really fault them for doing what they do. its a business & thats how they put food on the table. that said, they would piss their pants if they ever came by my place (craig & jon can verify this) because i've been collecting that sort of stuff for over 20 yrs & have a pretty good stockpile of stuff. only difference is i make my profit by actually buying unrestored, do the restoration & resell. i do have many (way too many) items that are in my personal collection & won't be sold unless a catastophic event happens & do have a hard time letting go of alot of stuff.

just the stuff behind the shop...
IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch it once in a while, more to see the things they find than anything else. I also was just thinking what the sellers' reactions would be to the money their items would bring on the open market...

Did anybody else happen to catch a 1971-73 Mach 1 in the background of one of the recent ones? The one where they looked in the barn of the ladies son, and the lady and her daughter helped dig through the stuff.

How can you hate someone who buys low and sells high? :)
None of these people are lovers of what they sell. They are mostly hoarders who have the opportunity to sell to someone offering cash. If they were eager to make their own profit they would sell on E-Bay or go to other venues and sell their wres.

I can stand these guys alot better the the a-holes on pawn stars. Those guys are just out to rip off the people. They'll have an expert come in and appraise an item, then offer them about a penny on the dollar.

That is so true. I have seen them talk about how easy to sell an item will be plus the large profit they can make. They then offer dirt for it or say it will sit forever without selling....

I enjoy the different out of the way places they go to and the digging through tons of old stuff. I don't really focus on the 2 guys much except the other day when they chewed the girls butt out for not doing a good enough job find them good places to "pick" and when they spent over a hour digging through this old guys barn, leaving him sitting outside on his riding mower the entire time and when they came out he wasn't very happy and wouldn't sell them anything else. Thought that was cool. :lol

Yes, I did. It was not featured, looked at, or mentioned. Just another piece of classic junk in the yard.

"AzPete" said:
Yes, I did. It was not featured, looked at, or mentioned. Just another piece of classic junk in the yard.

They were at your place???? :vic :beat :lol

"66gt350" said:
I can stand these guys alot better the the a-holes on pawn stars. Those guys are just out to rip off the people. They'll have an expert come in and appraise an item, then offer them about a penny on the dollar.

No one is forcing those customers to bring their items into the pawn shop to sell. The pawn shop is just doing what pawn shops do. I can't feel sorry for the customers getting ripped off because a pawn shop is the absolute worst place to sell an item. Customers that are not smart enough to realize this get exactly what they deserved - ripped off. If they are desperate for money, I'm sorry, but they should've managed their finances better.

"bigb427" said:
No one is forcing those customers to bring their items into the pawn shop to sell. The pawn shop is just doing what pawn shops do. I can't feel sorry for the customers getting ripped off because a pawn shop is the absolute worst place to sell an item. Customers that are not smart enough to realize this get exactly what they deserved - ripped off. If they are desperate for money, I'm sorry, but they should've managed their finances better.

+1, its an offer, they are not obligated to accept it. Like the dude last year with the Shelby Cobra body, he didnt have to take the 35K or whatever it was the offered him, but he did. I actually like the show in that they bring in "experts" to explain a lot of the stuff. The experts tell the owners the value, they can walk out and sell or auction the items themselves knowing the value. If the pawn shop bought the items for the valued at price, there would be no room for profit and they would be out of business.

Back