• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another paint dilemma....

gotstang

I've been scheming on how to tackle my '66, and I keep getting stuck at "paint". I think that's why I haven't worked harder on it recently. "All I have to do is" some minor sheetmetal repair, and paint the front clip, and I can start bolting parts back on. After I have the front suspension back on, brakes hooked up, and engine back in, it will be time for paint.

According to my original plans, paint would be a do-it-myself ~$1500 project with lots of slave-like labor and a surefire loss of all fingerprints. The thing is, I have a car to reassemble first, and even if my broke arse found the cash to paint it, I have nowhere to store my freshly painted hoopty ride when it's done. The idea of parking it in a gravel driveway, or the middle of the yard, and leaving it there through an Ohio winter makes me ill. It has already taken a tree to the hood once, and that's enough for me.

My aim would be to get it to "driving project" status ASAP, while trying to avoid half-arsing things that would require complete dissasembly when the time came to finish it.

But, all this crap aside, I can't get it out of my head that I should paint it in black epoxy and spray on some wild stripes, and just DRIVE the SOB for a while. What say ye?

Flat black, Shelby scoop, and glossy maroon SuperSnake stripes...it would look cool at least. :lol

In order to paint a car correctly... it should be disassembled. As long as you don't mind "building it twice", go for it.

Back