• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any Hog Hunters out there?

beach pony

Drunkfest Coordinator
Donator
I know you Texas guys hunt hogs. I need some tips. I finally got a place to take my boys deer hunting but it seems as though the area I will be taking them is loaded with hogs. Probably get a shot at a hog before a deer. In any event, what should I look for? Ammo? anything special I should know? Tricks, tips?

I'll probably be using the ole 12 gauge shotgun. Might let my 10 year old sport the 20 gauge. Will a 2o with a slug kill a hog?

Need some answers. Thanks!

"blue65coupe" said:
Don't do like the Texas idiots and go in with a knife. I'd personally pack a nice pistol on me.

Us Texas "Idiots" use our hands.

A pistol 9mm and up should suffice. A scattergun slug might be a bit of overkill. A well placed .223 round should do the trick as well.

My personal choice: Lake City 5.56 M855 SS109 Penetrator.

No ppistols or rifles during these hunts. These will be shotgun only. If a well placed slug will work, I guess we'll be ok. Them buggers got a temper though don't they?

Yes they have a temper and I wouldn't use a slug. Of course, I've never been hog hunting. I'd go with some 12 ga buckshot. Ooooh, why don't you come up here and get some of my "noisemakers"?

"Sluggo" said:
You're going deer hunting with a shotgun?

Different part of the country boss. Do things a little different, and besides, why are you so surprised? I've been huntin deer with a shotgun my whole life.

You never heard of that Sluggo? Not every part of the country is wide open flatland. There is a such thing as trees and hunting seasons. BP, look online for "12 ga brushcutters" with flachettes (sp). Those will do the trick.

Yes, they get mad, really mad if you hurt and not kill..... Also, if you see young ones, don't even get close to getting between them and mama. She will take you out. It is fun but be careful. I always liked to carry a pistol with me just for the H of it too.

"blue65coupe" said:
You never heard of that Sluggo? Not every part of the country is wide open flatland. There is a such thing as trees and hunting seasons. BP, look online for "12 ga brushcutters" with flachettes (sp). Those will do the trick.

Never heard of that before. When I was a yung un back in North Dakota the preferred guns were .270, 25.06, 30/30 and .308. In Texas it seems to be .223, 7mm, 30.06.

Scatterguns were for bird hunting.

The only gun I've ever used deer hunting is the Remington 870 Express that my Dad gave me when I was 12. A lot of the kids are using different guns now, but they also use hunting dogs with radar tracking collars. That ain't hunting in my book. Tracking by eye, finding the right spot, and sitting in a tree stand before dawn, now that's hunting.

No riffles are allowed here either. Shot guns and slugs inside the county, outside of it, just about anything goes.

Shot guns and slugs inside the county, outside of it, just about anything goes.

Just out of curiousity.... if you're outside the county, haven't you entered another county? I assume then that different counties have different laws?

I guess they have "dead land" between their counties Dave. I wonder what Ron thought when he looked those "brushcutters" up.

"daveSanborn" said:
Just out of curiousity.... if you're outside the county, haven't you entered another county? I assume then that different counties have different laws?
Yes when you are outside one county you have entered another one with new laws. Thats how it goes up here. Allegheny county, where Pittsburgh is located if far stricter then any of the surrounding counties. Not just laws, but taxes are different too.
"blue65coupe" said:
I guess they have "dead land" between their counties Dave. I wonder what Ron thought when he looked those "brushcutters" up.
Nope, no dead land between counties. I was just referring to the one i live in, and every other surrounding it. Sorry for the confusion.

Back