• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any HVAC guys around here?

My fan went out on Sat, guy came out today and said it would be about $525 to replace it, $377 for part, $100 labor and $50 service call. Thing is, the units 23 years old.... they want about $5k to replace with 12 seer and $7K for a 15 to qualify for the 1500 tax credit...... Any ideas? Comments? Hurry though, its hotter den hell in here....

The fan (squirell cage blower) in the indoor unit went out, or the fan in the condensing unit (outside) went bad?

Indoor unit is a piece of cake Rick, just get the horse power & RPM off of the fan's data plate. go buy a new replacement motor to match existing specs and swap that motor out from the existing frame.

Did it on the old unit at my old house. Plus it's only 120-V as well. 2 wire hook-up plus ground.

A guy here at work just went though the same thing. Found out the outdoor motor unit's capacitor went bad. He said it's visibly noticeable, as the capacitor should be flat on top, hit was bubbled.

just swapped capacitor and all was fine again.

"Fast68back" said:
My fan went out on Sat, guy came out today and said it would be about $525 to replace it, $377 for part, $100 labor and $50 service call. Thing is, the units 23 years old.... they want about $5k to replace with 12 seer and $7K for a 15 to qualify for the 1500 tax credit...... Any ideas? Comments? Hurry though, its hotter den hell in here....

I had to put a condenser fan in at my old house before I moved. I think I paid like 50 bux for it. I also put a startup switch in it.

If it's that old and you have the coin layin around, replace the whole friggin thing. The evaporator coil is probably all clogged with hair and dirt anyway. You'll probably save a bunch on you electric bill.
That old unit has to be working it's ass off in this heat. It was far from efficient to begin with.

Most times, not all, when the capacitor goes bad, they either swell up or leak oil. If the fan on the outside unit is bad, you can do the same thing Jeremy did. You can swap out the motor and be back up and running in 15 minutes. Check the capacitor first though.

Next problem, your unit is 23 years old and living on borrowed time. If it is a heat pump like we use here in SC, it's generally only good for about 10 to 12 years. My advise, get the new unit. Big outlay of cash, but they are way more energy efficient. I just put a 16 seer unit in my house, 4 ton, and paid 4700.00 for the whole thing installed. It works less and is way quieter than the old one. I'll know how efficient it is on the next bill.

Back