• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone buying stock in the 3d printing thing?

Flysure1

I am kinda interested in this whole industry, we could be on the edge of some very revolutionary stuff here---they are talking building food out of non perishable proteins to body parts/blood vessels even stem cells! I think last year would have been the time to "jump" in but there could be some money to be made yet---when these become "home" affordable I think they will go wild--I read how china manufacturing will take a hit because of these--what a shame. I have a appointment with my money guy to go over a few ideas---he is still liking DDD company---the big boys say let it cool down and buy under $70.---what if that doesn't happen??

I don't but I've been wanting to play with the equipment. We've got several here at the orfice and they can make gears and things that move right out off the printers.

Not me, but I do believe it will be as major a revolution as the personal computer and the Internet, up there with the printing press (circa 1450).

I think its coming big time. All the way from industrial versions (an aircraft manufacturer is already using it) to in home versions. I'm sure the inital cost for home versions would be on the costly side but industries will find it a boon to keeping costs down.

Now on to who will be the company to invest it. ???????

"KBMWRS" said:
I think its coming big time. All the way from industrial versions (an aircraft manufacturer is already using it) to in home versions. I'm sure the inital cost for home versions would be on the costly side but industries will find it a boon to keeping costs down.

Now on to who will be the company to invest it. ???????
DDD has been pretty good in the last year or so

Midlife needs to investigate this.....

3D Printing in Panama City Beach

Posted: Thu 6:31 PM, Jan 16, 2014
Home / Headlines List / Article

Panama City Beach -- "Our scientists and engineers through innovation are coming up with the next greatest piece of tech that will give our sailors and marines an unfair advantage. So the next step would be to realize that idea. So the shops around us are a prototype manufacturing facility."

Those are the words of NSAPC public affairs officer Jeff Prater.

Chuck Self is an engineering technician working with the bases new 3D printer. As practice, he has built everything from elephants to small trucks. Currently, self is printing a model of a small boat.

"40 hours is what this will take, but trying to make this otherwise, with other manufacturing processes would be a much bigger time cost," says self.

Things that took months to fabricate from scratch, can now be done in days. And the technology is still in its infancy. Self imagines a time when 3D printing will be everywhere.

"Eventually products will be brought to market by the 3-d printer. You may have one in your home or you may go down to your local bureau and say hey, i want a new blender and they are just going to print you one," says Self.

For now though, this printer will be used to realize and test new design ideas in a fraction of the time.

"There is a reason why the United States navy is the number one navy in the world and your looking at it. It's because we have the leading tech, the best innovators, and we come up with the best solutions for our war fighters," says Prater.

"guruatbol" said:
I'm out....I went Beta in the day!

I am sure to pick the wrong company.

Mel
Just think you could make your own beta tapes---new old L.P.'s, 8 tracks. a brand new Schwinn stingray bike, the possibilities are going to be limitless, it is like the enterprise replicator--lol----next will be the transporter.

SSYS had a recent pullback on bad earnings news and is a little more attractive now. DDD is the other leader in the industry. XONE is another smaller player as is PRLB. I would not be a buyer in the last one. A little more speculative in an otherwise speculative investment.

Another thing to consider is it may not be the printer manufacturer you want to buy. Think of computer makers here. Are any of the originals still on business or producing? Not many, but think of the software leaders. It may be the same with 3D printers. I am buying both manufacturers (multiple companies) as well as the guys providing software to operate them.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"68EFIvert" said:
SSYS had a recent pullback on bad earnings news and is a little more attractive now. DDD is the other leader in the industry. XONE is another smaller player as is PRLB. I would not be a buyer in the last one. A little more speculative in an otherwise speculative investment.

Another thing to consider is it may not be the printer manufacturer you want to buy. Think of computer makers here. Are any of the originals still on business or producing? Not many, but think of the software leaders. It may be the same with 3D printers. I am buying both manufacturers (multiple companies) as well as the guys providing software to operate them.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about the companies that are going to have outlets with the large printers to rent at the store for products that are too big for the home sized ones---there is a home version out right now for 299, I am sure it is limited in its capabilities

Back