• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone ever gone back to school to get a Master's degree?

caspian65

Sorry I haven't been around much. Since no longer being involved much with MCA, kind of eased back on the car stuff. Anyway, I've been thinking of going back to school to get a Master's degree. I have a BS in computer science from NC State Univ. They offer a distance education program to get a Master's of computer science. Most everything is done online and about 10 classes are required. This would not be an MS, but I guess what is referred to as an MR. The main difference is no thesis is required. Would probably take 2-3 years to complete this since I'll still be working full-time. Just thought I would ask if any others here have gone back to school and maybe had any advice. Guess my motivation is not necessarily tied to a career path but more of a self-improvement thing. Would probably have to quit my current job after I finish school to take advantage of any pay increase it might yield.

I started working on my MS in Engineering one semester after I graduated with my BS in Engineering (and was working full time).

I went back to my alma mater (Cal State, Northridge) as 1) it was close, 2) Because I graduated with above a 3.0 GPA in my field, I only had to received 50%+ in two of the three categories of the GRE.

It took me 2-1/2 years to get my degree and I instantly got a pay raise as a result of it. I have used a little of what I learned in my field, but the benefit was more of going through the process.
I did not do a thesis, and many colleges now do not require them, as you can do a project or take an exam to satisfy that requirement.

I'd recommend you get a MS - it's more recognizable.

I also took TV courses (internet based today) where I was able to go to a community college and listen to the class on a TV and call in via land line if I had questions....

"caspian65" said:
Sorry I haven't been around much. Since no longer being involved much with MCA, kind of eased back on the car stuff. Anyway, I've been thinking of going back to school to get a Master's degree. I have a BS in computer science from NC State Univ. They offer a distance education program to get a Master's of computer science. Most everything is done online and about 10 classes are required. This would not be an MS, but I guess what is referred to as an MR. The main difference is no thesis is required. Would probably take 2-3 years to complete this since I'll still be working full-time. Just thought I would ask if any others here have gone back to school and maybe had any advice. Guess my motivation is not necessarily tied to a career path but more of a self-improvement thing. Would probably have to quit my current job after I finish school to take advantage of any pay increase it might yield.

I have. Based on expereince in the tech industry I would recommend a business style masters so you have more career choices up the ladder managing the tech departments with a strong tech background. Either way, the masters was the best money I ever spent and the day I graduated I doubled my salary.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the MS program won't work for me, but other than a thesis, it appears the master of CSC degree is the same as far as requirements go. Think I will try and talk to an adviser to see what the options are.

Me, I hated school. My wife on the other hand is a schoolaholic. She got her MS and then went on and got her Ph.D in the related fields. It was worth it for her, job wise and pay wise. She loves her job (going on 8 yrs now) and we've never regretted it.

BTW, she did all that while working multiple jobs and paying as she went. She finished with owing no loans or other debt.

I have two Master's degrees and neither were related to my career field. That being said, however, having advanced degrees helped moving into the management side of my field. With the proliferation of college degrees, having any kind of Master's is a plus.

Yes, I went back to get my Ph.D. at the University of Arizona while running my company, and then later to get an MBA at the University of Phoenix (before it all went online). It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.

Back