• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone grow their own hops?

66gt350

It's been awhile since I've done some homebrewing, but I got back it brewing this past winter, and I got to thinking (I know that's dangerous!!) I wonder what it would take to grow my own hops. I know that they do good in this hot climate, Sierra Nevada grows alot over in Chico. So, I ordered 6 plants (3 cascade and 3 kent golding varieties) to give it a try. Even with my brown thumb, I got 5 plants growing. The toughest part was erecting the 20 trellis. Here's what I've got so far:

trellis.jpg

I still need to finish digging the holes for the guy wires. It's amazing how much flex is in a 4" steel pipe that's sticking out of the ground 20 feet. Now that summer has hit, the ground has turned rock hard and it's slow going with the auger.

hops.jpg

The hops have started growing up the rope since these pics were taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to try home brewing again. I did it once with a friend's help many years ago.

You going to MITM this year??? :roll :beer

Frank

"cmayna" said:
I've grown my own.....oh you said hops? :shrug
Kind of my first thoughts Craig---brings back some memories--I think I remember anyway! I have never tried growing hops, I never found a home brew I preferred over name brand sp I never dabbled in it---it definately would be neat to say I grew all the ingredients in my beer!

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I'd like to try home brewing again. I did it once with a friend's help many years ago.

You going to MITM this year??? :roll :beer

Frank

I do enjoy homebrewing and a good homebrew on a hot summer's eve. Now i just need to get a kegerator to put the kegs in...

Not sure if we're going to MITM this year or not. Being as far north as we are, it's a long haul down down to Pismo.

Back