• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone here a 'pro' Graphics artist??

Kats66Pny

I could swear I saw someone here mention they work in graphics design.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to charge a client for some work I'm about to be doing. This guy bought a car lot and before he can open for business, there are certain things he needs to bring up to code.. like adding curbs, trees, concrete the lot, etc. The city said if he brings in a concept drawing of his plans for the lot, they'll let him open up sooner and he'll have like 2yrs I think, to being everything up to code.

So I have to create a 3D render of a car lot (that's the easy part).. but I have no idea what the going rate on something like that would be. :shrug
He also mentioned something about needing a permanent graphics person for other stuff too. :thu We discussed pay.. do I want paid hourly or paid by the artwork. Normally, when I was doing commissioned art for clients, I just charged by the picture and it was pretty much a set price ($20-75 depending on the size of the picture) which usually took me 1-2 days to do, but I was told I charge way too less for the amount of work I'd do on a picture, that I should charge more. I stuck with my pricing I had because economy sucks and the market for artwork of online MMORPGs[nb]Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game such as World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, EverQuest, EvertQuest II[/nb] is barely there and some people can't justify paying a lot for an art piece of a fictional character in a game they play.

I don't hang around here as often as I used to so it probably wasn't me you saw make the comment, but I guess you could call me a pro designer. I'm the senior graphic designer for an insurance company. When I do work freelance jobs, I always charge by the hour over project. Reason being most projects end up being more than you anticipate. Some of that depends on the client's own knowledge of what they want, and how to communicate that to you. For something like a piece of art, where you know it's going to take x amount of hours, that's when a flat rate does work well.

If you'll be working on an ongoing project, or multiple projects at the same time, I would suggest $ per hour. Agree on a price per hour and then you can work from there. That way you get your fair share, and the client's expectations are set from the beginning. $30/hour is good start, but on the low side. A lot of the freelancers I know will charge $50+ and that is usually perfectly acceptable, depending on what type of work they're doing.

Back