• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone here have an FJ Cruiser? <pics added>

DeadStang

aka, a Rolling Brick? Spent some time in one at the Portland Auto Show in January and I kind of decided I like them. I've been driving a couple of Gen 1 "Sport" (2-door) Explorers for awhile and really like them...these junkers have been my first experience with SUVs--now I know why they were so popular for so long. Opinions on the Bricks?

Re: Anyone here have an FJ Cruiser?

Iam into Toyota Land Cruisers as well as classic Mustangs. I don't own a FJ Cruiser, but I've driven one off road, and cruised on the highway. It's a very capable truck off road, in fact more, and more folks in our off road club are buying them. If you want the best info go to http://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?.

I personally like the truck, but hate the blind spots, it's the only drawback I see.

-Good luck - Mark

I wonder if anyone has ever made a" track car" out of one of those. :confu

&quot;DeadStang&quot; said:
aka, a Rolling Brick? Spent some time in one at the Portland Auto Show in January and I kind of decided I like them. I've been driving a couple of Gen 1 "Sport" (2-door) Explorers for awhile and really like them...these junkers have been my first experience with SUVs--now I know why they were so popular for so long. Opinions on the Bricks?

My sisters BF actually has one hes trying to get rid of.

If you have any experience with or know anyone who has a 4runner or a tacoma, their opinion/advice will apply. It's basically a reskinned 4runner.

Usually when one comes in for repair it's owner inflicted. It came out in 07 and I've only seen two broken.

Both owned by same individual. One used as a U-Boat and the other was lifted and the bracket to drop the front diff was not too well engineered and they smashed the diff lock harness causing it to ground out and lock the diff at inopportune times.

Both myself and mustang67408 are Toyota Masters so you even have support for it here on StangFix!

I've been hanging on the FJ Forum, but they're obviously pretty biased. I've had a couple of early Tacoma Trucks ('99s) and liked them a lot. Recently, I was "reminded" of how much I liked driving my trucks when I bought my associate's little pick-up ('04). It had 142K on the original clutch, exhaust, etc, and drove great, but was just too small for me to live with... Sold it for a tidy profit--they seem to really hold their value! I was hoping that the FJ would give me kind of a combination between the trucks and my little SUVs.

It's not dissimilar to a 99 Tacoma as long as you're talking 4x4 or pre-runner. It will ride and drive very similar. It has pretty much the same suspension and driveline. Engine and trans are updated.

I agree with Sluggo and I can add, if you hang a large ARB bumper(its a great bumper just ver heavy) and winch on the front end and are rough with it, (jumping) and rock crawling, YOU ARE GOING TO CRACK THE FRONT FENDERS IN the CRUSH ZONE. The crush zones are rated to 9G's and slinging that or any heavy bumper and winch over the nose is going to creat excessive G's.

I also do not recommend over a 33" tire, when you get to the 35's they will rub unless you do some major cutting and reiforcing to the body mounts and frame and swaybar.
I also recommend staying with a 2-3" lift. The 6" is bit excessive and raises the center of gravity alot on a short wheelbase vehicle.
ICON makes a great 3" kit.

Otherwise I agree about the Blind spots. I dont care for them but thats me.....they will go anywhere and would take one over a J__P (cant even say it.)They are reliable and dependable. The 4.0 V6 is a good engine and we dont have any trans problems that stick out in my mind. We have dont a few rear diffs, but like sluggo said , those were mostly customer induced problems.
I'll keep my 2wd Tundra that I converted to 4wd.

Attachments

• IMG_2525.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2513.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 49

Bought the brick. It's an Army Green 6-speed manual...They're calling this particular option package an NSSE (Not-So-Special-Edition). They were supposed to be a Trail Team Package with the body color roof, which should have the 3-set multi-ball display on the dash, another outlet in the back, TRD wheels, and different shocks, but there was a mistake at the factory. So there are a few of these guys running around and the Trail Teams haven't made it yet. After the horrible stuff going on in Japan, they may not make them for this year.

The multi-ball dash display thingy was cool, but I didn't like it as it makes the dash cluttered and affects visibility. And thankfully, it has really big side mirrors, since the blind spots are worse than a '69 Mach's--made even worse by the car seat in the center back. I also has a back-up camera that appears in the rear-view mirror, which is very cool. Having a 6-speed transmission will take some getting used to, but all-in-all, I like it a lot.

57-030411210832-77781852.jpeg

57-030411210823-77761670.jpeg

57-030411210826-77771492.jpeg

57-030411210845-77812396.jpeg

Holy dookie!

I have yet to see that color or package!

Never seen one without the alloy wheels. Nice utilitarian look.

Congrats.

Back