• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

anyone running cable clutch on 67/8 mustang

"buening" said:
Other than the higher cost, is there any other reason why people don't choose to go fully hydraulic?

The only other logical argument I've heard against hydraulic clutch systems is: "If it has fluid, it will eventually leak."

It's difficult to argue with that logic.

Hydraulic throwout bearing kits get a bad wrap due to the fact that the trans must be slid rearward in order to replace them.

Even with these considerations, I'd prefer to have the hydraulic over the cable system.

I really like the cable system in my 94...very smooth.
I've heard of people having problems with them, particularly if they're routed too close to headers and not protected.

"daveSanborn" said:
The only other logical argument I've heard against hydraulic clutch systems is: "If it has fluid, it will eventually leak."

It's difficult to argue with that logic.

Even with these considerations, I'd prefer to have the hydraulic over the cable system.

+1 on all of Dave's comments.

I've been through most all of the options on my daily driver '67. Ditched the OEM linkage because it interfered with the R&P. So I went with the Mustang Steve set up. After frying and replacing two cables (yes I even wrapped them good with heat resistant stuff), the Mustang Steve system cost me more in the end than my current hydraulic system.

AND, those Mustang Steve cables are not as "readily available" as you think. They are Ford Racing cables, not stock Ford OEM cables, so you still have to order them through someone. Unless your local parts store stocks Ford Racing items (most do not), ordering them takes time for shipping, which would be same amount of time as shipping a Modern Driveline cable.

The piecemeal hydraulic system costs just a tad more than the MustangSteve cable system, is just as easy to install, is super easy to bleed if you do it right, and offers a super smooth pedal.

BUT - nothing is perfect, since the rubber seals blew out on my first slave cylinder while navigating heavy L.A. traffic, and left me stranded waiting for a AAA truck. The seals on the new slave haven't failed me yet.

In the end, stick to the OEM linkage if you can - it's the only one that's proven reliable... But if you MUST have something different, hydraulic is the way to go. Just my $0.02.

I haven't heard any of you cable guys complain of it but is the firewall strong enough? I've heard or read other places that the early Stangs firewall wasn't up to the strain from a cable. I am considering (in the future) a TKO in my 67.

On mine, it isnt attached directly to the firewall, its on the flange in front of the firewall. It may be flexing some, never an issue as far as I can tell.

"tarafied1" said:
I haven't heard any of you cable guys complain of it but is the firewall strong enough? I've heard or read other places that the early Stangs firewall wasn't up to the strain from a cable. I am considering (in the future) a TKO in my 67.

Most have some sort of reinforcement plate.
I'll post pics of my American Powertrain setup if it ever shows up :sad

Back