• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD + MAC long tube headers test fit

imho, it would be wise to use the old block & iron heads instead of the aluminum. i've got a porta power here too..... :vic

Steve...what don't you have??? :amaz

When I'm in town I'll find some pipes that'll fit as snug as I can in the collectors (unless you have those too...). I'll mark the collector pipes for center just in case and load it all up with the 351 block/stock heads and cart it over to see what we can do I guess. At worse we'll be back to the cut and weld scenario. I sure hope this hydraulic bending idea works. As Dave stated earlier I'm worried about possible contact near where all 4 pipes come together and I think the bending would have a better chance of bending that area out slightly too.

We'll see and I'll be sure to get pics if it works.
Thanks all, Jon

Jon,

The trick will be getting BOTH headers to spread apart. Granted the passenger side header/collector needs to spread outward the furthest, but the drivers side should be spread outward a little bit also. With the porta-power placed between the two collectors.... one of the headers is going to start bending outward and the other may not move at all. The trick will be getting EACH header to spread "open" the amount necessary to clear the AOD.

I'd recommend using heat at the location where you want the headers to bend when using the portapower. If you don't use heat at the desired bending spot to "persuade" the header to bend at that point, there will be a lot of stress on the header-to-head flange welds towards the back of the head . I'm not talking about getting it red hot, just localized heat from a handheld propane tank or something to cause a weak spot. The header will bend at its weakest point with the portapower, assuming the welds at the head flange aren't the weak spot. My two cents :)

"buening" said:
I'd recommend using heat at the location where you want the headers to bend when using the portapower. If you don't use heat at the desired bending spot to "persuade" the header to bend at that point, there will be a lot of stress on the header-to-head flange welds towards the back of the head . I'm not talking about getting it red hot, just localized heat from a handheld propane tank or something to cause a weak spot. The header will bend at its weakest point with the portapower, assuming the welds at the head flange aren't the weak spot. My two cents :)

Concur 100%. Remember these are a cheap $100 set of headers. I wouldn't expect the tube to flange welds to be superior.

Back