• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

At What Point Do I Replace Glass

whelessray

I have the engine bay ready on my 67 Coupe for the engine. I have done both floor pans. I am going to put the engine in this weekend, I hope. After that, interior paint, then exterior paint. Both door windows and the windshield are scratched and pitted. Should I replace them before or after all the painting?

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
After, you will want access to the window channels to be able to paint them and take care of any rust issues.

I assume the current glass is out. Yes? If so, then as John said, after. I would have as much interior installed as you possibly can. Typically it would go in after headliner.

You want to have all the glass removed for painting. You are almost guaranteed to find rust damage under the seals on both the front and back glass. Many times this will require a bit of grinding and hole filling or even patching to correct. Water finds its way under those seals and sits in the low spots causing lots of damage.

Also, taking the door glass out makes access to the inner door so much easier and you'll likely find damage in there as well you can take care of and then seal up and protect. You might also add some sound deadening material in there while you're at it!

Back