• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Autonomous cars in winter

tarafied1

So I am up Northern Illinois for Christmas and it snowed most of the day today. It got me thinking about autonomous cars driving in snow. I know ABS and traction control would work the same as with a human driver but when you can barely make out the surroundings how will the car determine where the road and actual lanes are? Also I noticed several times today my backup camera got confused and just beeped at me because it couldn’t tell what it was seeing. So would an autonomous car just stop driving in these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The morons who build those things live around here and since we don't have snow....why would you. Yep they will realize this and put a "do not use in inclimate weather" sticker on the door .
I've driven next to one of those cars (Google). It is weird seeing the driver doing nothing.

Climate change will alter that and soon nobody will know what even snow is !:rolleyes:
BTW.
As time pass by , they will find a solution for this kind off wheather situation.
But for now it will be more : "Don't operate this vehicle in extreme conditions" kind of sticker on the windshield.

I’m sure they could come up with ways to clean cameras and sensors without freezing over. But it will add cost. But I’m really curious how they will overcome the visibility issue. The human brain can figure out from surrounding objects and such but how do you program a computer for that. Lots of variables and huge liability if it make a wrong choice and drives you into a ditch or worse...

I’m sure they could come up with ways to clean cameras and sensors without freezing over. But it will add cost. But I’m really curious how they will overcome the visibility issue. The human brain can figure out from surrounding objects and such but how do you program a computer for that. Lots of variables and huge liability if it make a wrong choice and drives you into a ditch or worse...

The enclosed housing for security cameras we have at work have a heating strip like the rear windows of today's cars and they even have wiper blades. Keeping them clean is not a issue. Visibility is still an issue.

Yeah I figured there would be a way to keep them clean. Probably a way to make them figure out where the road is too. Just got me thinking when I was driving around in this crap.

Back