• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bad Bad Bad "NOS" 66 Emergency Flasher Switch

I was fortunate to nab a "NOS" 66 Emergency switch off Ebay recently....or so I thought.

After it arrived, I plugged it in, and nothing. I then put the trusty VOM to it, and checked for function. Nothing again, I mean no conductivity in either switch position. The wear to the electrical tabs, general dirtiness, and now lack of function makes it "used" not "nos", and broken to boot :sad

I got burned on this deal (for now anyway), and will have to send it back.

Before packaging it up, I noticed the back plate (with the connection tabs) was a bit on the loose side. I was able to gently rotate the back out of the metal switch housing. I soon found out why the switch was not working. There was no copper switch plate inside. Just the actual switch lever, a spring, and a black plastic "carrier" piece that I assume would normally have the copper attached to.

I can send it back, but I thought I would ask here first if anyone may have a dead switch that they may have parts for, mainly the copper plate. I understand the black plastic carrier part is the usual part that breaks.

Thanks all,

Once the contact plate is removed from the back, I've found that the reliability of these switches is very poor when it all goes back together again.

I know the reliability may not be the best, but this switch has been elusive for me to find (for a reasonable amount anyway). I figure if I can get the missing parts, and really clean and rebuild with the proper electrical grease it would work for another 40+ years. I made a deal with the seller to scrap out the switch with me, so I won't have to mail it back, so no loss there.

So I will continue to look for a dead switch for parts in addition to a NOS or similar switch to finish up my electrical rebuild.

I was very fortunate that Brian (Havok1) had a busted switch that had the needed copper contact strips. He sent them to me (Thanks Brian!), and my missing parts were replaced. After a good cleaning, addition of an electrical lube, and finally reassembly, my switch is 100% functional now!

That was the good news...

The switch does indeed "bench" check fine, however when plugged into my car, the RH rear tail light does not flash. The RH brake light and turn signal flashes fine, just no emergency flash.

After reviewing the wiring diagram (my 65 has a 66 dash harness with integral emergency flasher wiring), it appears that my turn signal switch may be bad. I haven't pulled my steering wheel yet. Maybe tonight.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Check the harness where the emergency flasher wiring joins the main harness. I had one that had two wires (solid light green I think) into a small pin in the plugs that mate to the turn signal plugs. A wire from the flasher had pulled out of the crimp. Drove me crazy and I had the same problem appear that you have. Re-crimped the wire after removing the pin and all was good.

"AzPete" said:
Check the harness where the emergency flasher wiring joins the main harness. I had one that had two wires (solid light green I think) into a small pin in the plugs that mate to the turn signal plugs. A wire from the flasher had pulled out of the crimp. Drove me crazy and I had the same problem appear that you have. Re-crimped the wire after removing the pin and all was good.

Sounds like you are into something...but not in this case.

I have the 66 (late) style under dash harness. The emergency flasher wiring in integral to the other wiring. There is no plug as in the 65 and early 66 cars. The power for the rear brake lights (filament) from the emergency switch is a single wire (#10/Green-Red), and goes to the turn signal switch where it powers the rear brake lights when actuated. The emergency switch has independent power lines for each front light and they work fine. What is a bit confusing is the brake switch power also goes into the turn signal switch on the same pin as the emergency switch power, and correctly powers both brake lights.

I'll have a look tonight, it should not be that hard to figure out.

Thanks

Back