• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Battery Tender jr

jims6t6

If you have two 12 volt batteries hooked in a series( ie a truck) will one Battery Tender keep both batteries charged?

Surely you mean parallel. A series of two 12V batteries is 24V.

If the batteries charge at an even rate, it might work. The batteries might reach a balance of voltage to allow an equal charge.

I would think that if one battery had a different level of charge than the other, you could get one battery never getting a full charge. The charger should shut off once it reads 12 volts (whatever the designed level is).

I have always charged them individually in vehicles that had dual batteries.

I know, a real solid answer...lol.

"Midlife" said:

Could be negative is hooked to the negative and positive is hooked to the positive

"jims6t6" said:
"Midlife" said:

Could be negative is hooked to the negative and positive is hooked to the positive

That's a parallel connection. I agree with AZPete: you cannot fully charge both batteries if they are in parallel.

"Midlife" said:
"jims6t6" said:
"Midlife" said:

That's a parallel connection. I agree with AZPete: you cannot fully charge both batteries if they are in parallel.

So I assume that they would have to be disconnected to keep charged even is you are using two tenders. ????

If using two tenders, just install a battery disconnect switch between the batteries. Easy operation.

Back