• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

before you tighten springs down

blue65coupe

Do you suggest letting car sit for a day and then tighten, or go ahead and tighten before letting it "settle in" a little? BTW Pete, 3 hrs on gravel is pretty impressive.

Tighten everything up upon install. The forces involved with the suspensions movement don't care how tight your bolts are.

I would leave the rear shackles loose until the weight is on the car. My car dropped several inches. The body shop put the rear suspension on when it came off the rotisserie. I loosened up the rear and let it off the jack pretty hard a couple times and it settled down quite a bit. I would torque the front down with the weight on it as well.

"blue65coupe" said:
Do you suggest letting car sit for a day and then tighten, or go ahead and tighten before letting it "settle in" a little? BTW Pete, 3 hrs on gravel is pretty impressive.

Thanks......determination helps plus wanting to beat the sun into the hot position was always on my mind. I let the weight on the springs and then torqued things down. No problems since.

Well, we got a half inch difference so far. The mid-eyes are sitting up higher than I thought. I'm gonna pull a Dukes of Hazzard and see how they settle.

"blue65coupe" said:
Well, we got a half inch difference so far. The mid-eyes are sitting up higher than I thought. I'm gonna pull a Dukes of Hazzard and see how they settle.

What good will come from wearing hot pants :wtf

Back to the question at hand......let the car back down on the ground, bounce it a few times and torque the rear bolts. I remember my mid eyes settling just a little bit after a period of time. It was just enough to keep me from switching to reverse eye springs.

So I put drop blocks back there.

If the car sat too low would you have installed air shocks/extended shackles?

Then why "rig" the rear suspension with "kids stuff"?

By moving the rear axle further away from the spring pack, the lowering blocks will help induce wheel hop. Fine (I guess) for a show car, but not for a real muscle car.

You know better than this.

"daveSanborn" said:
If the car sat too low would you have installed air shocks/extended shackles?

Then why "rig" the rear suspension with "kids stuff"?

By moving the rear axle further away from the spring pack, the lowering blocks will help induce wheel hop. Fine (I guess) for a show car, but not for a real muscle car.

You know better than this.
The car could not have sat too low.
I put blocks because I wanted it lower and was not going to spend any more money on an interim suspension. The whole purpose of the spectacle was to make it a functioning driver after sitting on blocks for 7 almost 8 years.

5 leaf mid-eyes were supposed to lower it. They did not lower shit.

Probably because your old springs were super sagged:p My mid-eyes actually raised the ass end of my car about 3/4", although I expected that.

Maybe the three of us can split the cost of some springs...... If the dude in the pictures got 4" from adding 2 springs, theoretically I could get 2" from on spring?

Perhaps, or would we just eat that cost back by shipping 2 springs to each person...? Well at least to me anyway since you and Sluggo are closer to each other.

Back