• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Best paint for MC's

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Anyone know of a paint that won't breakdown down too quickly if brake fluid gets on it for a couple minutes? I want to paint Shag's new MC before I install.

Ouch, you think I'm a rich beeiiicchhhh? Then again, that might do the job, but worry if powder coating will hurt the valve inside.

Just spoke with my local powder coater who said that brake fluid will infact lift power coating if you don't wipe it off quickly. Think I'll look for some high temp engine paint and watch it during installation.

"monkeystash" said:
+1, except I have no idea what a tractor supply is.
it's like a hardware store chain but focused on farmers... they sell stuff like cast iron colored engine paint that seams to be resistant to brake fluid. Lots of goodies like tools, chain saws, tractor parts, atv parts, etc. etc.

"tarafied1" said:
it's like a hardware store chain but focused on farmers... they sell stuff like cast iron colored engine paint that seams to be resistant to brake fluid. Lots of goodies like tools, chain saws, tractor parts, atv parts, etc. etc.

Thanks, just looked it up on the net. None in the metro area here, just in the surrounding country areas...which I guess is for good reason.

"cmayna" said:
Just spoke with my local powder coater who said that brake fluid will infact lift power coating if you don't wipe it off quickly. Think I'll look for some high temp engine paint and watch it during installation.

Why not just not spill any....... or go synthetic

"Fast68back" said:
Why not just not spill any....... or go synthetic

I went to DOT5 on Midlife, and never regretted it. In fact, I am glad I did, as when I first tried my brake pedal, fluid went everywhere! With all the work I spent on painting everything just so, I would have broken down and cried if my paint had lifted using DOT3.

"Fast68back" said:
Are your brakes spongy with the DOT5? I've heard that about synthetic.

Not that I can notice. Of course, it was 5 years before that I used DOT3...

DOT5 is fine for around town and highway driving...probably not as highly recommended for long track periods.

I use Dot 5 in both of mine and never noticed any sponginess problem. It also saved my coupe when a rear brake connection wasn't quite tight enough after reassembly and the brake fluid went over it. Quick wash down and it was fine.

+1 for the DOT 5 fluid.

Unless your talking alimony or child support, higher number is always better.....

I'd like to see the number on my bathroom scale a little lower..... actually, it probably is, but I'd rather guess and be happy than know for sure.

DOT 5 is synthetic and doesn't absorb moisture like DOT 3 does. Don't use it on cars with ABS, but it's fine for street driving. For performance driving, there are better things out there, like Ate Super Blue.

Back