• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bison Ribeye!

• Thread starter opentrackerSteve
  • Start date
O

opentrackerSteve

Yesterday, I grilled two Bison ribeye steaks and corn on the cob. Served it with a tossed salad. Yum!!! I'll take a pic tonight as I re-heat them - I'm going to also cook 1/2 of an acorn squish...

Where's the bison? Not that little scrawnie piece of meat in the lower left corner, is it?

That's the piece. It was sooooo good. I only cooked 1/2 of a steak yesterday as I had one Sun night and left the rest for the wife.

I'm definitely going back to pick some more of that up.

At 32.00 per pound (grass fed and I believe they are ranched on Cataline Island), I was being frugal.

Sorry, we simply don't believe you. Why????

:wop

Oh yeah, you did submit a pic of something on the grill. Looks more like chicken. Don't see any fuzzy Bison fur on it.

Up until this year I shot a Bisen every year to fill the freezer. Grass fed, ranched, so there is no real challenge to getting it, but when I was done it was about $4.00 per pound average.

The best way to cook a Bisen rib eye steak is with a simple salt, pepper, garlic and onion rub. The same that I use on my Prime Rib roast. I got it from Paula Dean.

Then make sure not to over cook it. If you do it will be tough. Also cook it on a low temp for a long time, searing at the very end. Make sure to let it rest for the juices to return back to the meat.

Bisen is the second best red meat for you. Elk being the first. Bisen has the same protien, fat and other contents as Fish or chicken. So you can eat red meat and not be concerned with the bad stuff!

It is also hypoalergenic, so if you have people to feed who are sesistive to beef, they usually can eat this without issue.

Mel

salt and pepper is all I used. I also slow cooked it in the Primo Oval XL at 225 degrees and added Cherry chunks to the lump charcoal.

I would totally go in on a bison group buy. The backstrap on an elk is freakin amazing!! The elk sausage taste great but leaves my family with more methane than could choke a donkey

I can get Bison for a reasonable price still. I am willing to get one and get it processed, but not sure how much shipping would increase the price.

One animal at 1000# on the hoof will yield about 450# processed boneless meat hung for three weeks, cut, wrapped in plastic and paper, and frozen.

If I have enough interest I can arrange the animal/s and processing and shipping.

If you want specific cuts, I could talk to the grower and see what we can do for a group buy direct from him.

Really though it is the most economical to buy the whole animal and get roasts, steaks, burger and ribs. I think even with the price increases of feed and the animals themselves we can still keep the average cost per pound to around $5-6 before shipping.

Mel

Mel,
You can pm me if you like about it. I have 6 mouths to feed these days and they ain't cheap! I wish I could get them to wear the sign that says will work for food.

"copasspupil" said:
Mel,
You can pm me if you like about it. I have 6 mouths to feed these days and they ain't cheap! I wish I could get them to wear the sign that says will work for food.

Where are you located?

Mel

What's up, Mel? It's been over two months since the last post. When is the offer / purchase going to occur?

You know, I was waiting for an email back and I forgot to follow up...

I'll get right on it in the am...I'll give him a call instead!

Sorry...

Mel

Don't be sorry. I was just pinging you. Let us know. It's summer time and I'm looking forward to making some awesome steaks!

OK, I got an email back he has two critters to harvest.

1- $2000

2- $2500

The problem as I see it is that all the animals I can find are 800 pounds or so. this is IMHO a lot of money for this size animal.

The last one I shot four years ago was $2500 for 2000 pounds. The pricing was $1-$1.50 per pound on the hoof. Then Ted Turner stopped selling causing higher demand for the remaining beasts. It's all Obama's Bush's Ted Turner's fault!

Plus processing and the processor will ship for a fee.

I have to call the processor next.

I plan to do that Monday.

Mel

Mel,

Thanks for the update - I'll keep checking on this page for updates.

Back