• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bizarre engine problem: (

Thank you for the link! It explained a little more, but still left me with a feeling of loosing my battle with MSD. I did nt get a return call from where I bought the ignition setup, I'll try them again tomorrow. If there is no refund to be had, option 1 to install it and see what happens, or 2) put system for sale on eBay and cross my fingers that it would sell ( but selling to someone would make me a guilty party knowing what i know) or 3) put it on a shelf in the garage and forget about it and chalk it up as collateral damage. Plus shame on me for not doing my homework in buying an ignition setup.

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Not sure where you bought your dizzy, but it looks like they are chinease copies floating around.

C&P fail, here's a link, urrrrrrrrrrrr......

http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com/70 ... index.html

Chinese, USA - MSD quality has taken a nose dive. I hear about one failing pretty much every week on the boating sites, and those are supposedly US made.

A new MSD distributor to try

Hi! Actually this new MSD arrived a couple weeks ago, but only today did I feel like installing it. I clocked it perfectly the first time and the timing was right on the money!! Only question I have is which vacuum port does the vac advance go to, the one with least vac, or the one with most vac which really moves the timing? I haven't driven it yet; waiting for a nicer day, plus will be hauling my HEI around in the trunk for a while I guess. I love my new air cleaner; )
Dne'

0474e975.jpg

Ah, the eternal debate - ported vac, or manifold vac. In reality at cruise rpm where the vac advance works, there is little difference in the readings, so not much difference. I hook mine up to manifold vac, as it results in a smooter idle.

I did notice it to idle much better with manifold vac; ) so there it's gong to stay; )

"apollard" said:
Ah, the eternal debate - ported vac, or manifold vac. In reality at cruise rpm where the vac advance works, there is little difference in the readings, so not much difference. I hook mine up to manifold vac, as it results in a smooter idle.

Back