• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Black engine bay paint...new source????

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
So I'm reading the Aug09 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. In it is an article about a guy rebuilding a 1 of 1 '71 Cougar (about 1% is original so how can it be so special....arguement for another day). And there stated:

"The engine compartment and a number of chasis components were painted with a black epoxy primer, then a coat of SEM Rust-Shield black. It's not quite semi-flat, not quite gloss and lots of people tell me it looks like exactly the color and sheen that Ford used."

Now I checked the SEM websitehttp://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=154 and all I found was 'gloss' , 'flat black' and 'black' in quarts and gallons, although the pic shows a spray can. I'm guessing he used 'flat black'.

So there's an option for our MIA Krylon.

Meesr Michelle....er Michael.....er whatever, Shag's engine bay and bottom side is painted with Sem's 39143

I found Landau Black to be as close to the interior color black as possible, and it appears to have the same color as the engine compartment. I'm not sure what the number is.

"Midlife" said:
I found Landau Black to be as close to the interior color black as possible, and it appears to have the same color as the engine compartment. I'm not sure what the number is.
Is that also SEM?

Mike -- I'm coming into this discussion late, so forgive me if this is old informatinon.

If you are lamenting the loss of Krylon semi-flat black (1613, IIRC)...they still make the original formula -- only as an industrial finish -- rather than a retail paint.

A member of my local Mustang club can get it through his company, I'm told, and in fact, gave a case away (as a door prize) at our last meeting.

"mrgem" said:
Mike -- I'm coming into this discussion late, so forgive me if this is old informatinon.

If you are lamenting the loss of Krylon semi-flat black (1613, IIRC)...they still make the original formula -- only as an industrial finish -- rather than a retail paint.

A member of my local Mustang club can get it through his company, I'm told, and in fact, gave a case away (as a door prize) at our last meeting.

Thanks for the Info Glenn. But I doubt if a normal schmo like me could order just a single rattle can every now and then.

Oh and welcome :pep :pep :pep

Now go to bed its late.

Hi Mike, perhaps you could organize a Nor-Cal group buy for a case of the stuff and bring it to MITM. I'd take 2 cans. All you need is four more friends.

"DEL65" said:
Hi Mike, perhaps you could organize a Nor-Cal group buy for a case of the stuff and bring it to MITM. I'd take 2 cans. All you need is four more friends.

I'll look into it. Maybe that's an option.

MiMi,
How many cans of 1613 do you need? I know of this shop in my backyard that has some.

Rattlecan lovers? Who the hell do you think you are -- a freaking MCA Gold Card Judge?

Now...Let me ask you a question... Since Ford made cars at many, many plants, doesn't it stand to reason that that different plants may have had a slightly different "mix" for chassis black? And doesn't it also make sense that even one batch of paint may have differed slightly from others at the same plant?

I find it tough to believe that Ford had any precise standards for engine compartment and chassis paint when they were cranking these cars out as quickly as they could. I know I've seen a variety of gloss levels on professionally restored cars over the years...Is it possible that they are all correct (or incorrect)?

Am I wrong about that?

BTW -- Good to see you posting here, CT. I've been wondering how you were. I hope all is well with you and the family.

On a completely O/T and personal subject, my little girl dog is now into her tenth month since her diagnosis and seems to be hanging in there... Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my my bank account -- paying for these chemo sessions is going through some serious cash. What we do for love...

"mrgem" said:
Rattlecan lovers? Who the hell do you think you are -- a freaking MCA Gold Card Judge?

Now...Let me ask you a question... Since Ford made cars at many, many plants, doesn't it stand to reason that that different plants may have had a slightly different "mix" for chassis black? And doesn't it also make sense that even one batch of paint may have differed slightly from others at the same plant?

I find it tough to believe that Ford had any precise standards for engine compartment and chassis paint when they were cranking these cars out as quickly as they could. I know I've seen a variety of gloss levels on professionally restored cars over the years...Is it possible that they are all correct (or incorrect)?

Am I wrong about that?

BTW -- Good to see you posting here, CT. I've been wondering how you were. I hope all is well with you and the family.

On a completely O/T and personal subject, my little girl dog is now into her tenth month since her diagnosis and seems to be hanging in there... Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my my bank account -- paying for these chemo sessions is going through some serious cash. What we do for love...

I don't believe we've conversed before but I think I'm gonna like you. :naug

Tell us your thoughts on slop gray. :pop

Back